My brew room/ pub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigbrew

Reaction score
I recently move from Michigan (just north of Detroit) to Hudson N.C. (1 1/2 north of Charlotte). When we bought our house in N.C. we had never even stepped in it. We had our realtor take some videos. So at the time I didn't realize that there was an area that I could use as a brew room. there was also a screen porch that my wife said that we should enclose and make it one big room for brewing and tasting.

here are some photos of the spaces. I have started some work but those photos are on my phone. Ill post them later.

IMG_6268.jpg

IMG_6269.jpg

IMG_6270.jpg

IMG_6271.jpg

IMG_6272.jpg

Here is some more pics of the work that has been done. I took all the screen down and removed the 2x4's that separated the screen. Then I framed in the wall for the windows that I'm going to install. I put some OBS to cover the outside walls. I cut out the openings for the windows and tonight I will install them and move to the other wall.

P.S. that's my boy helping me by picking his nose and telling me I'm doing it wrong just like mom would.

Resized_20160918_142905.jpg

Resized_20160918_142917.jpg

Resized_20160918_142926.jpg

20160920_183029.jpg

20160920_183015.jpg

That's an awesome build. We have been looking to move from PA to Charlotte now for some time now but need to find a job there first. :mug:

Terrific space.

One thing I'd note: I lived in NC many years ago and always had issues w/ mildew on sides of the house not touched by the sun (mostly north). Your ceiling in that space looks like panel of some sort--if it were me, I'd seal the daylights out of that ceiling to avoid problems w/ moisture. Perhaps you're going to have some sort of exhaust fan or put a fan behind the boil kettle to blow moisture out of the space.

Either way, be cognizant of what happens to that moisture from the boil kettle.

Good luck and keep posting updates!

Mongoose33 thanks for the advice. I am planning on an exhaust fan but maybe I will also use some good paint/sealer on the ceiling. Here is a pic with the first 2 windows installed.

20160921_192901.jpg

Awesome! Really excited to see how this goes. Any plans or drawings for us to see in the mean time? :D:

nickthegreat, even though I am a designer i have not taken the time to draw up plans for this build. the next step is to frame in and install the windows on the wall that is in the front of the house. then I'm going to hang a door to protect all me stuff. then it is onto the demo of the wall between the to spaces to make it one big room. Then I have to put a collar on my kreezer and start to set up the brewing area to be more permanent.

I want to do something to the floor I just don't know what yet.

Weekend update. I started working on the front wall. Before you all comment on the the bowed piece of wood let me tell you. YES I knew about it and I am fine with that.

I framed out all the window opening and now I am going to put some OBS on it and cut out the window openings. Then I will hang the windows. I have 3 standard storm window that I will put in the 3 of the openings. the last opening closest to the house I'm going buy a piece of glass to fit the opening. I can not find a standard window to fit it.

20160925_130929.jpg

20160925_130943.jpg

20160925_172848.jpg

nickthegreat, even though I am a designer i have not taken the time to draw up plans for this build. the next step is to frame in and install the windows on the wall that is in the front of the house. then I'm going to hang a door to protect all me stuff. then it is onto the demo of the wall between the to spaces to make it one big room. Then I have to put a collar on my kreezer and start to set up the brewing area to be more permanent.

I want to do something to the floor I just don't know what yet.

Looks like concrete; might consider an epoxy-based coating for it, which can include flecks of color.

Poeple use that for garage floors. It's something like this:

http://allgaragefloors.com/epoxy-flooring/

here is the weekend progress. I finished putting OBS on the outside of the front wall and installed the windows that I bought. I still have to get a piece of glass for the smallest opening and make my own frame for that window and get a door. We have a lot of stuff planned for the next couple of weekends so I'm not sure when I will get more work done.

20161002_134453.jpg

20161002_140315.jpg

Did you know you can have windows made to custom sizes? It's not horribly different in price from what you'd pay for a standard size. Check at a home depot type store and see what they can do. If nothing else, you can have a custom size made that doesn't open which will at least fit the style of the others.

Good progress--looks great!

Well I have done some more work on this. Weather has been great and it makes it easy to go out and work. I now have the door installed and I am starting to take out the windows in the wall I'm taking down.

20161102_182842.jpg

20161102_182850.jpg

20161102_184854.jpg

so I got some more work done over the weekend. I now consider this one big room. there is no heat in this space and I'm not sure how cold it will be in the winter but I'm sure it will be better than brewing in my garage in the winter in Michigan. I need to insulate the walls I made and put some paneling or drywall up. If I'm really into it I will vinyl side the outside to match the house.

20161102_184854.jpg

20161106_120654.jpg

20161106_120719.jpg

20161106_124651.jpg

Was the wall where you removed the two windows a bearing wall? That's a pretty big span you opened up. If it's a bearing wall you probably should consider adding in a header and doubling up on the studs on either side of the opening.

Otherwise looks like a really nice spot. You're moving right along.

Subscribed! Looking good. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm in the middle of my own bar build right now... But without having to change any walls or windows.

here is the weekend progress. I finished putting OBS on the outside of the front wall and installed the windows that I bought. I still have to get a piece of glass for the smallest opening and make my own frame for that window and get a door. We have a lot of stuff planned for the next couple of weekends so I'm not sure when I will get more work done.

I hope you sill taped those windows so they dont leak?!

Back