Priming after gelatine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbrew

Reaction score
Will I need to repitch some yeast to bottle condition a 1.070 SG to 1.008 FG ale using safbrew T 58 10 days Then lagering on notingham @45 F for a week with 1/2 tsp Gelatine for finning?

P.S. I am not one of those completely anal brewers you know... you must cut off your left nut if it touches any cane sugar etc. :eek: :D

Not sure exactly where you're coming from....you don't ever want to add yeast after initial pitch...and especially not before bottling, although it probably wouldn't do anything at all; there's already yeast in it.....

You shouldn't need to repitch. If I'm understanding correctly, it's been fermenting for less than 3 weeks.

As far as the gelatine, I don't use fining or find it necessary. I doubt that it is so effective that literally *all* of the yeast would precipitate out, thus necessitating adding more yeast. It's just ground up bones and hooves after all ;)

rightwingnut said:
Not sure exactly where you're coming from....you don't ever want to add yeast after initial pitch...and especially not before bottling, although it probably wouldn't do anything at all; there's already yeast in it.....

That's not really true. Germans add a yeast to their Hefe Weizen prior to bottling.

...and did you forget about kreusening?... :D

Janx said:
You shouldn't need to repitch. If I'm understanding correctly, it's been fermenting for less than 3 weeks.

As far as the gelatine, I don't use fining or find it necessary. I doubt that it is so effective that literally *all* of the yeast would precipitate out, thus necessitating adding more yeast. It's just ground up bones and hooves after all ;)

Thanks Janx thats exactly what I was getting at. It was my first time using gelatine. I would definitly recomend it, although I will not be cracking one till this weekend. I've never had a beer this clear ( I use grolsch bottles) :D

Back