REALLY long primary. Beer still ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddpac87

Reaction score
I had made my second batch (a sweet/milk stout) back and March. I had some trouble with it not reaching the FG it was supposed to and ended up giving up on it. I never actually dumped it though and I'm wondering if it is still ok to continue on with. I just took a peek and there doesn't seem to be any kind of infection or anything visibly wrong with it, but I wasn't sure if it sitting on the yeast for 8+ months would create some terrible flavors.

Oddpac87 said:
I had made my second batch (a sweet/milk stout) back and March. I had some trouble with it not reaching the FG it was supposed to and ended up giving up on it. I never actually dumped it though and I'm wondering if it is still ok to continue on with. I just took a peek and there doesn't seem to be any kind of infection or anything visibly wrong with it, but I wasn't sure if it sitting on the yeast for 8+ months would create some terrible flavors.

Taste it! What really have you got to lose at this point?

You might have some off flavors from dead yeasts and some processes they undergo once they die but who knows...you may have an awesome beer. Try it. Let us know!

You might have some off flavors from dead yeasts and some processes they undergo once they die but who knows...you may have an awesome beer. Try it. Let us know!

Home brewers have gone over 6 months in primary before with zero issues. It's more likely he'll have a great brew to bottle/keg and drink.

I've gone over three months in primary with zero issues already.

Back