DIY conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadboy

Reaction score
303584_10151007020421122_1873625841_n.jpg

I can't take credit for this but does it look like it would do the job? A guy in my LBC came up with it and it SEEMS like the idea is sound but...

The tub comes from www.spraysmarter.com. It's 15 gallons for a hair under $60

A buddy of mine uses something like that to ferment wine. He had just a couple small complaints (can't remember what they were), but overall liked it. I know that's not directly translatable to beer, but, hey, whatever that's worth.

Hopefully that works out. A conical for around $60 would be nice.

I thought one of the advantages to conical fermenters was being able to drain the yeast/trub out. Honestly I don't know how it would work in a normal one but I really don't know how it would work here.

I thought one of the advantages to conical fermenters was being able to drain the yeast/trub out. Honestly I don't know how it would work in a normal one but I really don't know how it would work here.

Thats what that bottom valve is for...:cross:

I understand that you can drain from the bottom but I don't see how the wort doesn't come out with it. Maybe if there was... nope. I got nothing.

Check out my DIY conical thread, lots of a great input from other members along with the idea of using a yeast catcher.

I've never used a conical, but don't you drain the wort out first? I'm just assuming thats how it works.

I understand that you can drain from the bottom but I don't see how the wort doesn't come out with it. Maybe if there was... nope. I got nothing.

The yeast and trub is on bottom...so it comes out first. You stop draining when there's no more trub.

The site says they are safe for water storage, can we assume they are 100% food safe? I'm always wary of using anything plastic that wasn't specifically made for food storage. How is your friend planning on controlling temperatures?

I have a blickman 15 gallon and works like a champ. When yeast dies out and ready to dump crack the bottom valve and drain little and repeat for a few days. Overall looks like it will do the job.

The site says they are safe for water storage, can we assume they are 100% food safe? I'm always wary of using anything plastic that wasn't specifically made for food storage. How is your friend planning on controlling temperatures?

I have been using 2 conicals like this for 5 years and haven't had any issues. They are perfectly fine.

This is mine and it is working great. I just finished my second batch. It is so easy to use. I am now thinking about getting a second one.

Back