Tips for using wyeast german ale yeast for a kolsch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, well I am brewing an all grain kolsch tomorrow and had orginally intended to use wyeast kolsch yeast BUT my LHBS was out and I had to settle for german ale yeast. I was planning on primary fermenting at around 60 degrees until fermentation is complete then secondary ferment at around 45 degrees for two weeks. Will I still be able to follow this process with the german ale yeast? Thanks for any advice! Cheers :mug:

Yeah that should be fine. I've done the same procedure only the secondary was at 35df and it turned out clean and great. I love kolsch

It will come out lager like, but the 1007 doesn't taste much like a kolsch to me. Its a great strain, and you'll make a fantastic beer with it, but don't expect the kolschy flavors. Its a very very clean strain

Thanks for the advice. I am thinking about secondarying a bit colder, have read that it gets a nice crisp flavor going colder. I figured that the flavor wouldnt be dead on kolsch but I guess I'll just say that its a kolsch style...well technically isnt it illegal to call a kolsch not brewed in Koln a kolsch?! My swmbo loves kolsch(I do too)but I think she might kill me if I brew another beer that she wont drink! :D

Ok, I found another place about an hour away that has wyeast kolsch II, so I'm going to drive up and get it first thing in the morning. Y'all know anything about the kolsch II vs the regular kolsch?

whiteheadcraftbeers said:
Ok, I found another place about an hour away that has wyeast kolsch II, so I'm going to drive up and get it first thing in the morning. Y'all know anything about the kolsch II vs the regular kolsch?

Both are very good

Latest posts

Back