Hey Heffe folks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAS98M

Reaction score
A couple questions RE: Heffe brewing
1. I have a couple recipes -One uses all Hallertaur hops and with listed addition times,the other uses Amarillo and Magnum hops with no times listed(Duh)-What hops do you folks recommend ??(I do really like the Franziskaner Wiessbier-fruity not spicy) I also like Magic Hats' Circus boy and would like to duplicate either one.
2. I'd like to do a multi rest to get the full potential from the mash-had some efficiency issues of late, Without Pro-mash and the like : How do you figure the addition amounts-at dough in and at the rests??

Recipe---6# Wheat
6# 2-row
.50-1 # rice hulls
.75oz Haller @ 60mins
.25oz Haller@ 5 mins

Or Amarrilo and Magnum hops at unknown times due to not knowing-flavor or aroma I suppose....
And Breweferm Blanche Belgium yeast

Whate do you folks think ? Brew day is tomorrow So.... any info as soon as possible would be greatly appreciated. Shane

You can use this mash calculator which should help figure your water additions. I am trying my first hefe on Sunday and going to try to do a decoction. You could download Beersmith and get a full 21 day trial. Then you can figure out your hopping schedule using appropriate amounts for the bitterness needed. What yeast are you using?

Someone else will come along to help as well. Good Luck

If you want to brew a more traditional heffeweizen, use the German hops (Hallertauer) and a German yeast (e.g., Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen). You can use American hops or Belgian yeast, but then the flavour of the beer could be different from what one expects from a heffeweizen.

Otherwise, I have brewed a very similar recipe and really liked it.

I need to translate your recipe to DME (for me to understand it):

Recipe---6# Wheat
6# 2-row
.50-1 # rice hulls
.75oz Haller @ 60mins
.25oz Haller@ 5 mins

6 lb grain = 3.6 lb DME so you're using an equivilant of 6 lb 12 oz DME not counting the rice, but I understand they are only a filter anyway).

Now you have to decide...are you making an American Wheat or a German-style Hefe Weizen (I don't use the words "Hefe" or "Weizen" when talking about an "American Wheat").

That depends on your yeast. You failed to mention which, as well as the AA% of your hops.

If you are planning a German-style Hefe Weizen then I can help, if not...someone else will advise you. :D

If you are planning a German-style HW then (at 6 lb 12 oz) I would recommend 3.1-3.2% AA (on the sweet side or 4.something on the bitter side) at 60 mins of the Hallertau. Traditional German HWs only use bittering hops. :D

Viel Gluck!!

Here are the Alpha's--Magnum pellets are 15.1,Amarillo's are 8.3,German Hallertau is 4.2,yeast is from Brewferm-called Blanche-dry yeast used for brewing wit and wheatbeers-says to ferment at 18-23c, is from Belgium.
Hope this helps. Shane

Back