More fun with buckets!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnsfeigel

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew my 2nd batch and was planning on doing a secondary. (I ended up with way too much sediment in my bottles for batch 1, and figure that a secondary will help me with that until I get better at siphoning.) I got some 3.5 gal frosting buckets from the local bakery and was going to use them to primary, saving my 6 gal Better Bottle to secondary in. The question is... can I just split my wort and yeast for 2 identical primarys then combine the 2 back into my BB for secondary? Is there any reason I wouldn't want to do this?? Thanks in advance for any insight!

(Sorry to double post, but the one I piggybacked on got buried so I thought I'd make my own.)

The only thing I can think of is if the wort concentrations were wildly different in one compared to the other, and also accurately splitting the yeast.

You could put the yeast in both buckets then pour them back and forth. If you mix them well enough you should have equal concentrations of wort and yeast in both. And, it would help with aeration of the wort.

Just go buy a 6.5 gallon bucket for eight bucks. Eight American dollars is all we're talking about here.

You're going to risk messing up your batch with all of the extra handling and attempting to measure half of a yeast vial.

Use those 3.5 gal buckets for small batch ciders, meads, etc...

Depending on the style of beer, I wouldn't necessarily worry about splitting the yeast accurately, especially if you use a start. When you put them both together, you've blended them for one homegenous brew.

You have several easier options:
1. Get another bucket. They're cheap, like monoaction said.
2. Whirfloc or Irish Moss during the last 15 minutes of the boil.
3. Rapidly cooking the hot wort before going into the fermenter helps with clarity.
4. Long primary and then cold crash also helps with clarity.

I don't secondary and my beers are crystal clear.

Back