What's in your stock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis

Reaction score
Just getting an idea what people like to keep on hand. Really just grain & hops unless there's something you would like to mention.;)

Hops:
2 oz Cascade
1/2 oz Citra
1 oz EKG
2 oz Warrior

Grains:
15# 2 row
3# 60L
3# black patent
1# Carapils

Stuff:
Irish Moss
Turbinado
PH5
Gypsum
Primin' sugar

I'd like to stock more but don't have the equip to vac seal the hops and need another bucket for grains. What do you have?

i buy 50 # sacks of grain and store them in home depot buckets. I usually have pils and 2 row on hand. I have probably 12 specialty grains (most of the crystals, some wheat, chocolate, roasted barley, munich, vienna, black patent, etc) on hand that range from 2-5 # of each, depending on how often they get used. And probably have about 10 varieties of hops (cascade, amarillo, columbus, chinook, hallertau, goldings, saaz, simcoe, centennial, magnum) on hand, all vacuum sealed into 1 oz increments.

Sacks of 2row, 6row, and Maris Otter. Was keeping Flaked Maize but I may switch to sacks of corn and cooking it (cheaper, may taste better). I bought a 5lb bag of Crystal 20, 40, 60, 80, and 120. I go through 5lb bags of Black Barley and Chocolate Malt. I'll get 1lb bags here and there of different grains. Last year I bought 6lbs of hops. I am about to do the same within the next month.

I've got about 13 pounds of Marris Otter, 25 pounds of 2-row; 1 lb each of Czech Saaz, Hallertau, Willamette and Cascade; 1/2 pound of a couple other hops that I'm forgetting the names of right now.

I dont stock too much for ingredients.
Irish moss
Burton Salts
Servomeyces
Yeast Nutrient
A variety of hops, usually whatever I have left over from whatever I brewed previously or when I find a good deal online I order a lot for commonly used hops. (got a pound of cascade on order with More Beer as it was on clearance for 99 cents for 2 ounces)

I use the bulk buy program at my LHBS which allows me to buy 50 pounds at a time and only take home what I need to use that day. It's a 4 minute drive so no need to stock up at home. I do buy hops by the pound but use 1/2 pound per brew so they don't stick around long.

I do like to have a couple of packs of yeast in the fridge, just in case.

I keep a 50lb sack of 2-row, white wheat, and pilsner. I also usually have 1 lb of Cascade, Magnum, and Tettnang. 3lbs of Xlight DME, US-05 for backup, S-04 for backup, I also currently have a yeast bank of Wyeast Kolsch II and Wyeast Irish Ale, I also always have Irish Moss and Corn Sugar on hand.

I use the bulk buy program at my LHBS which allows me to buy 50 pounds at a time and only take home what I need to use that day.

Now that is a sweet deal. I get a 25% discount on grain (comes out to 'bout 1.00/#) if I pay 50 bucks ahead of time but a bulk buy would be nice.

Edit: I just realized that's kinda what I'm doing. Sorry people I'm dumb.

Back