Consistently Contaminated Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Immersion chiller is a good place to look
notice how much condensation runs down from the part that may not be immersed in the boiling wort. I run the tubing up and over the edge of the kettle - this tubing is boiled then pulled back out of the wort. This means any part of the chiller where condensation forms and can run back into the cooling kettle has already been boiled (sanitized). Is it possible that you have contamination from your chiller running from the unsanitized portion where condensation forms.

I am going to try a test tomorrow and see what happens. I have never noticed anything leaking from the tubing itself, but perhaps condensation? But, if I sanitize the tubing shouldn't the condensation also be sanitized? Thanks for the idea!

Also look at the new brewing environment. Is this and older house or apartment? Is there more dust, dander, something in the brew environment? Are you using fans in a different way than you used to. Did you get a dog? a cat?

At this point it seems curious enough to look at the outlandish stuff too.

I would switch to spring water for your next batch. Yeast need minerals in the water to do their job.

I agree with previous posters, it doesn't sound like a bacterial infection/sanitization problem, more like a process issue.

You don't need distilled water with an extract kit... Most people don't use it. Spring water is fine.. I've switched to RO and Deionized water and the clarity is much better than my tap, but I don't notice much of a taste difference. I used to use my tap (well) and the beer tasted fine as well.

Hi all:

Thank you for all the prompt responses. I did a test with my chiller and appears there is a leak on the output tube causing water from the hose to run into my beer. I am hoping to try to solder connections on (as I am using hose clips now) and try to brew soon. My fingers are crossed that this is the answer. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back