First time brewing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wulfonce

Reaction score
I started a "Barons, Red Wood Ale" brewing kit 4 days ago and everything seems to be going well so far. This is my first time brewing and I'm not sure about the whole process. I noticed in the instructions it says "sprinkle the yeast packet onto the surface of the wort, do not stir." I did as it says and sprinkled without stirring but that brought up a question.

I've seen many youtube videos that show people stirring the yeast into the wart. So this makes me wonder. Does stirring in the yeast vs. sprinkling it onto the surface make a difference in the final product? :confused:

Not really. In brewing you will find there is more than one way to skin a cat. There is rarely a "Best" way, only a preffered way.

In fact there is a saying in homebrewing, "Ask 10 different brewers the same question and you'll get 12 different answers." :D

you really should rehydrate dry yeast before adding it. because the yeast are dry they will have a hard time drawing in the wort you have dropped them in. this will stress the yeast. but seeing as you got fermentation going i wouldn't worry on it to hard.

I just brewed my first last night. Per advice of many I boiled 2 cups of water and took it off the burner placed a thermometer in and when the water hit 100f I put the dry yeast in. After about 10 minutes I could clearly see the activated yeast in the pan. I pitched the entire contents into the carboy. I had active fermentation in 4 hours. I also aerated the wort with a wisp while it was chilling.

+1 on rehydrating dry yeast, been having great results with dry yeast, I use the following procedure to rehydrate/proof the yeast:

1. Boil a few ounces of water
2. Cover with sanitized saran wrap
3. Cool water to 90F - 100F
4. Pour in yeast, don't stir initially, let it sit for about 10 minutes
5. After 10 minutes stir the yeast to reduce clumping, let sit for 20-25 minutes
6. When wort is at proper temp, pitch

I usually start boiling the water for proofing about midway through my wort boil, it is usually cooled to 90-100 by the time my boil finishes up. When I start up my IC I do step 4 & 5. Wort is usually at temp and transferred to my bucket by the end of step 5 and I am ready to pitch.

Back