my 15 gal conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the lid has a plastic ring it screws into. The plastic ring is screwed down to the connical vessel. I may take the ring off and replace what looks like drywall screws with some stainless steel bolt/nut. I haven't yet fermented in it yet so for the first time i will just twist the lid on a little and see if it leaks enough to release pressure during fermentation.

I know some of the guys here are less concerned due to the positive pressure from fermentation but, my team isn't called the A**l Retentive Brewers Guild for nothing. If I go this route, I'll airlock it.

I know some of the guys here are less concerned due to the positive pressure from fermentation but, my team isn't called the A**l Retentive Brewers Guild for nothing. If I go this route, I'll airlock it.

i have an airlock in my lid. didnt bubble at all. i dont think the lid tightens enough for the airlock to do its job, thats why some people put gaskets on them.

the guys as hess brewing that use these conicals dont airlock, they go the route of not screwing the lid super tight as well.

i understand both sides, just comes to personal preference. bottom line, those lids are not a good seal.

i have an airlock in my lid. didnt bubble at all. i dont think the lid tightens enough for the airlock to do its job, thats why some people put gaskets on them.

the guys as hess brewing that use these conicals dont airlock, they go the route of not screwing the lid super tight as well.

i understand both sides, just comes to personal preference. bottom line, those lids are not a good seal.
I've used 3/8" round closed cell foam insulation & melted the ends together to make a quasi gasket. It generally doesn't seal tight but it has never caused an issue with the fermentation. I'm at the point now that it doesn't matter. If your process and sanitation are sound the beer will ferment. If there is a concern it's just a quick unscrewing of the lid & a peek. Cheers!!!

Defenestrate, How's the cleaning process with the conical? Do you take the ball valve off everytime you clean and steralize!! How about the Lid and ring the lid screws into?
Cheers

Defenestrate, How's the cleaning process with the conical? Do you take the ball valve off everytime you clean and steralize!! How about the Lid and ring the lid screws into?
Cheers

i've only fermented in it once, and that was before the racking valve was added. i'm going to brew a 10 gal batch sometime this week and use it again, and after kegging i will most likely take off the valve. when i've cleaned it before, i just put the whole thing in my tub, put a few gallons of water with oxyclean in there and scrubbed it and let it soak, and just cleaned the lid like a regular bucket... they rinsed and sprayed down with sanitizer. 10-15 min nice and easy.

Don't know how I missed this thread.. Nice work! I assume you are coming up for the GB?

i'm actually up this weekend :drunk: i needed to bring some stuff to jersey this weekend. some of my friends are actually making a trip down to MD next weekend and are going to be picking up the grain for me on their way down hopefully :rockin: if i end up having to drive up here again on thursday i'm going to be pretty pissed but i will do it in the name of brewing

ps you shouldnt be allowed to post in lowly plastic conical threads after winning that hunk of SS! :)

i'm actually up this weekend :drunk: i needed to bring some stuff to jersey this weekend. some of my friends are actually making a trip down to MD next weekend and are going to be picking up the grain for me on their way down hopefully :rockin: if i end up having to drive up here again on thursday i'm going to be pretty pissed but i will do it in the name of brewing

ps you shouldnt be allowed to post in lowly plastic conical threads after winning that hunk of SS! :)

HAHA! I dont have it yet.. expecting it Monday. Until then, I will posting here.

Check the round 11 thread. Looks like we are on a delay and pickupwont be until the 27th-ish. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

HAHA! I dont have it yet.. expecting it Monday. Until then, I will posting here.

Check the round 11 thread. Looks like we are on a delay and pickupwont be until the 27th-ish. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

that would work better, i think i can scrape a batch together with the remnants i have laying around.

thanks again for the offer, and if i really need to i may take you up on it. i'd hate to burden you with 7 sacks of grain though haha :p

Did a bit more checking on these 15 Gallon "Inductor" Tanks and found them for $48.04. The link is below. They are food grade plastic so there is no problem there. They gave me a rough estimate of $20.00 for shipping but also added a couple of pounds for all of the valves and connectors. They carry everything you would need for this project and have locations through out the US.

I checked with our local farm supply store and they carry these exact same tanks and sell them for $60.31 and no shipping (I'll take the $8 savings). If you live in a farming community it may be worth a call to your local farm supply store. I'm going to pick mine up the next time they are open on a Saturday.

http://www.norwescotanks.net/p-163-15-gallon-inductor-tank-19d-x-23h-x-8l.aspx

Ubermick and I are putting a couple of these together. Got some of our SS bling in, thought I'd share some beer pron..

SSBling.jpg

SpottedDogBrewing said:
X 2! now thinking up and designing a table to house 2 fermenters and grain mill :rockin:

I thought you needed to be very careful and keep milling and fermenting as far from each other as possible to avoid stirring up airborne contaminants. Just something i read here once, believe.

JetSmooth said:
I thought you needed to be very careful and keep milling and fermenting as far from each other as possible to avoid stirring up airborne contaminants. Just something i read here once, believe.

As long as the vessels are closed up to air-born particles there should be nothing to worry about :) house dust never cause's an issue !!! CHEER's

I'm working with these inductor tanks today. They have a REALLY strong plastic odor when you open them up. I'm sure the plastic is still degassing. Has anyone detected a plastic taste or smell to their first beer fermented in them?

Nope, I use a Norwesco full drain, and no plastic smells or tastes. But I have a question...Are the polypropylene 3 piece ball valves food grade?

Nope, I use a Norwesco full drain, and no plastic smells or tastes. But I have a question...Are the polypropylene 3 piece ball valves food grade?

No odors here either but I cleaned it real good & aired it out before using it. No issues with the valves either. In fact I've never tore them down in over 200 gallons brewed. Just open & close them a bunch of times every time I run water, OXY/TPS-90 and starsan through to flush them out good. Cheers!!!

Quote C. Montgomery Burns, "EXCEEELLLLLENT!"

Thanks! Better part of this i have 50' of copper tubing on a UPS truck enroute...

Cost $0.00!
:rockin:

Back