So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing a Vienna lager. My wife and daughters (both daughters are legal drinking age) all love Harry Potter so I call this “Dobby’s House Lager” for them.

Potter fans will certainly get my lame attempt at humor!

IMG_4298.jpg

Brewing a Vienna lager. My wife and daughters (both daughters are legal drinking age) all love Harry Potter so I call this “Dobby’s House Lager” for them.

Potter fans will certainly get my lame attempt at humor!

View attachment 586195

Love the name! Do you strain it through a sock? I’ll add to your lame humor [emoji16]

That is a cool stand, do you happen to have a pic of that by itself? Might have to borrow that idea.

Double brewday yesterday went fairly well, although both the dip tube in the keggle and the pump got clogged with hop cones that escaped the basket, causing much cursing and mess at chilling for the first one. Second one no issues at all, and both are happily fermenting away this morning. Tomorrow (or later today) going to do my first Milkshake IPA, with fresh peaches added at 5 days into fermentation. First beer in a while that is at the husband's behest, since he bought the peaches. We had a sample of one at Brewfest in July and both loved it, so I hope it turns out well.

I just brewed an IPA using only Chinook hops. Doing the Palmer Method with extract and forgot to add the other half of the extract at the end of the boil! Oops! Reheated the wort a bit so it would pasteurize the second half of the extract and went on with the rest of the Brew day. I expect a little less flavor and aroma and maybe a little more IBUs.

Should be good either way!

IMG_1332.jpg

Hit all the numbers except I’ve never seen a pH of 5.7 before. Not sure if it was real or the meter was on crack but I added some lactic and final pH was in range.

Russian Imperial Stout. I used Omega Labs OYL016 yeast with an 18 hour starter. The fermentation took off like a rocket. I hit gravity numbers and liquid volume numbers right on target.

Our beer club, NUBS (North Urban Brewing Society out of Lake County, Il) is having this beer as the beer of the quarter competition entry. Hoping for a good showing..........

Russian Imperial Stout. I used Omega Labs OYL016 yeast with an 18 hour starter. The fermentation took off like a rocket. I hit gravity numbers and liquid volume numbers right on target.

Our beer club, NUBS (North Urban Brewing Society out of Lake County, Il) is having this beer as the beer of the quarter competition entry. Hoping for a good showing..........
Sounds delicious!! Good luck.

Love the name! Do you strain it through a sock? I’ll add to your lame humor [emoji16]

That is a cool stand, do you happen to have a pic of that by itself? Might have to borrow that idea.

Well done, sir! Well done. [emoji1]

I made this from 1/2” black pipe (I painted red) from HD (they have the black and galvanized but black was cheaper). It was my original BIAB stand. I have cross arms to hang bottles, paddles, kettle lid, etc (just used some chain and hooks) and an arm that went over the kettle to hoist the bag.

On the bottom I have an erector set of pipes and connectors to make it forward, backward and side-to-side stable. I only have one leg screwed on the bottom back in this pic but when using it I have a leg on the other side as well.

The great thing about this is you can break it down for easy storage (I.e I use two shorter pipes with a connector instead of one long pipe for the long vertical piece so it’s easy to store) and you can customize easily to make it fit for your needs.

I am changing my process now but still use it to hang stuff and it keeps me organized and the work area clear.

If these pics don’t show what your looking for let me know.

IMG_4302.JPG

View attachment 586502

Attachments

• IMG_4302.JPG
    IMG_4302.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
Told the Spousal Unit I was brewing this weekend and for her to pick the day. She wanted us to go somewhere on Saturday and somewhere else on Sunday, so I could brew Monday.

Sounded fine. Then I checked the weather forecast. Monday would be a "Feels Like" 100+ F day. Ugh.

Fly sparging now. And it is indeed friggin' hot!

Cheers!
20180903_131350.jpeg

[edit] This weekend's Blue Moon is done and done, joining last weekend's Juicy Bits. Had to take a long cool shower after - I was soaked... :drunk:

blue_moon_03sep2018.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics Murphy, I think I’m going to use that idea to build on, won’t be for a while yet but when I do I’ll post pics.

5 gallons oatmeal stout today. Was a very efficient brewday time-wise, which was good since it was hot as f*ck.

I brewed 10-gal. IPA today. 1st, I started putting my grains in my mash water when I realized I forgot my screen that covers my tun drain. I had to drain it all, clean out the grains, place the screen, heat it back up and start again. Then, I overshot my gravity and stressed about that for a while. Made for a long brew day but all's well that ends well. Right? It's always something.

Since it's football season, need to stock up! Mashed in an Oktoberfest last night after work and let it mash overnight while sleeping. Sparged/Boiled this morning. Now chilling into my new Speidel!
IMG_20180906_103815.jpeg

I wish I was brewing. Have grains, hops, and yeast...a plethora of all of them. If it ain’t 100 million degrees, it’s raining. And if the stars do look like they’re going to align with the weather, then the kids have sports. Seriously looking hard at the grainfather or robobrew, especially with winter coming up.

I've got this weird idea for a beer that I can't get out of my head. A black, toasty, dry ale with fruity citrusy hops.

When I think about it's almost like synesthesia. I think of those pictures we drew as kids with the crazy colors first then black on top, then you scratch out the design you want. It's beautiful to me. So I'm testing it with 1gal.

2lbs two-row
4oz roasted barley
.05oz Azacca @60 mins
.25oz Azacca @5 mins
.15oz Azacca dry hop
.15oz Hallertau dry hop

OG 1.057
FG 1.014
IBU 25

Gonna mash kinda high. Some body would be nice but it's supposed to be dry in my head. Any thoughts?

Huh, TIL. What would be the benefit to mashing this way? Both beta and alpha amylase activity?

Attenuation, body, foam, lauterability.

It's typically applied to german lager buts i've adopted it for all beers and it's been a game changer for me. There is a level of tweaking to it though.

Another thing i recommend with it is to take wort gravity samples at the end of each step so you know how much extract you've obtained.

Usually you can get about 85-90% after ~30 minutes of beta, another 10% from alpha, and the last 5% from mashout. Give or take a little. Each grain can be a little different.

Attenuation, body, foam, lauterability.

It's typically applied to german lager buts i've adopted it for all beers and it's been a game changer for me. There is a level of tweaking to it though.

Another thing i recommend with it is to take wort gravity samples at the end of each step so you know how much extract you've obtained.

Usually you can get about 85-90% after ~30 minutes of beta, another 10% from alpha, and the last 5% from mashout. Give or take a little. Each grain can be a little different.
Oh wow ok. Thanks for the info!

Back