What is the height of your bar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep my standards bar raised pretty high, but that offer you nothing in respect to how tall to set your counter. IIRC, 48" is the standard counter height for customer side, 36" for working side.

Regardless, before I would start cutting the wood and assembling the framework, I'd make a cardboard or hardboard mockup and build it to whatever I like.

Wiki Answers says 40-42" for a bar top height but also claims stools are standard 28". The problem with standards is that more and more people prefer custom. :)

Bar height standards are 40 - 42 inches for 30" stools. I think you'll find 48" fairly high for a customer side bar.

I went 44" to bar top for mine, but I'm 6'1". My footrest/step is 6" deep and 7" tall.

Your best option is to go to a bar that you like with a tape measure. They look at you funny at first, but figure out what's going on after a while.

I have some documentation from an architectural guide that I'll try digging up.

I barhopped with tape measure in hand... nothing wrong with it at all. They charged me for the beer but the funny looks were free. I went with 42" myself.

Back