Applebees is teh suck.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
Normally I'm not a fan of Applebees, I find that they have fancy school lunch food and it all tastes the same... it seems like the meals show up frozen and all they do is just heat them up. Anyway, SWMBO was in the mood for Applebees for some reason so her and I packed up the little one and went to Applebees. We ordered some appetizers and food for us and we got the little one the kid's "Mini-Burgers"... the waiter asked if we would like our daughter's food to come out with the appetizers, sure, not a bad idea.

So we get our appetizer within 5-10 minutes. A few short minutes the mini-burgers come out. My wife begins to tear apart the mini-burgers and is disgusted to find the the mini-burgers are severely under cooked and that they are pretty much raw meat (well, the middle of the burgers were raw and cold). The appetizer was burnt and we just picked at it waiting for our waiter.

So we show the waiter and tell him, obviously we can't feed our 1yo raw meat and ask to have them "fix" the burger by just giving us new ones.

15 minutes pass and then bring out the mini-burgers, this time, cooked.

After 35 mins we still haven't gotten our food, other people have come in, and have ordered and been served their food. So the waiter comes up and asks if everything is ok and if we'd like more water.

"No, everything is horrible, the food comes out raw, and we still haven't even received our food, cancel our order we're leaving." He runs and grabs his "manager", the manager didn't look a day over 18. He had to have been fresh out of high school and was just a mess (had some stains on his shirt and was a sweaty as ever). Not only did he look a mess, his eyes were red and glassy like he just took a tremendous hit off a wicked bong. We tell him our problem and then tells us our food is coming right out.

I told him, "just trash it, I'm fed up and leaving."

With that the manger runs to the kitchen and grabs our food, throws it in a plastic bag and comes back to our table as we are leaving and says, "oh here's your food."

Then PROCEEDS to PLACE THE BILL on the table.

We left, left the bill, the food and our water at the table. bless Applebees and their stupid managers and poor staff. I can't believe they had the balls to charge us for water, burnt appetizer, undercooked meat and no food until the very last minute (until we complained about not having any food at all).

You gave them too many chances IMHO. I'd be writing a letter to the CEO of whoever runs the chain.

Ya, and their beer selection sucks too!!!!! (bastards)

I haven't experienced anything quite that bad at my local Applebee's, but then again the wife and I normally only go in for appetizers when they're 1/2 price.

Applebees/TGIFridays/Ruby Tuesdays/whatever other same style restaraunt...The only reason I like them is that it keeps people with kids out of the good restaraunts.

You gave them too many chances IMHO. I'd be writing a letter to the CEO of whoever runs the chain.

This happened on Thursday night and we weren't going to do anything...

Well, ironically I had a fire call to the building yesterday evening due to the storms (had set off the fire alarms)... I noticed that they have a posted 800 number near the doors, so I wrote down the number of the hot-line and we called last night... they offered us coupons, asked if our daughter would like a t-shirt and a letter of apology...

not too bad, but I highly doubt we will ever go to the Applebees near our house ever again, there is one that's 20mins from our house that we might try (just to use the coupons).

yeah, i'm with Ohio on this. I'll go for the 1/2 price apps but thats about it. Crappy beer, crappy food, crappy time. Crapplebees!!!!

+1 on the franchise restaurants sucking.

Having said that, I find the one exception for me are the Lone Star Steakhouses. The worst meal I ever had in one of those was merely "good". They usually give excellent value for money IMO

Having said that, I find the one exception for me are the Lone Star Steakhouses. The worst meal I ever had in one of those was merely "good". They usually give excellent value for money IMO

I wish we still lived near a Lone Star. They were the best chain I think I've ever been to. My favorite thing was the Cheese Fries, but their meals were always good too. I was always impressed with the quality of their ribs considering it was a chain

I'll give props to Lone Star as well...I had a wicked steak in the Fargo location.

As for Applebees, I think it's going to pretty much be the case of just telling people about the experience and not going there anymore.

Joes American Bar and Grill is good food for a pretty large chain. Don't know if they're around you but I enjoy them.

Great chain here in AZ called Gallaughers. Well, not sure if it's a chain or they just have a couple of places here.
I haven't been to an applebees since I dated in high school. That place is terribad.

I like the way this thread has turned into a good food guide! I'm gonna start taking notes now! :D I reckon we already know who the sucky ones are, but the good ones need advertising! :)

Applebees/TGIFridays/Ruby Tuesdays/whatever other same style restaraunt...The only reason I like them is that it keeps people with kids out of the good restaraunts.

Wait a minute, are you saying I can't take my kids to "good" restaraunts? :mad:

:D Where do you usually eat, I'm bringing the entire family in and sitting right behind you!

Back on topic: I don't like any of the chains either but have also had good luck with Longhorn and Texas Road house.

I'd add Long Horn Steak House to the list. I've been to both and both will ask you to cut into the steak to see if it is cooked the way you ordered.

Long Horn's are few and far between around here, presumably because Outback and Texas have cornered the market. I can't eat at either one of those without ending up with IA (Intestinal Armageddon). One time, in college, my wifey (GF then), roommate and I went to Texas for a regular old steak. Nothing out of the ordinary. Steak and fries. How do you screw that up? Well, it didn't taste bad...not good, but not bad. However, the trip back to the house was one of the most harrowing times of my life. Actually, all three of us were in dire straits. This was beyond IA, this was the goddamned End Times in my gut. If there was a land speed record in Guinness for steak passing through one's digestive system, those steaks that day would be eternal champions. How we all managed not to sh*t ourselves is to this day the one true miracle I have witnessed.

Outback is nearly as bad. Wifey's sister works there...her husband is actually the manager of one. I can't eat there without getting IA. Even the salads are covered in what I can only describe as spray-applied laxative. Actually, that's not far off. Wifey also used to waitress there, and this is true: they douse the salads with some weird butter spray before they come out! You know, just in case you were thinking, "hey, you know, this salad could use some more lard!" :(

And no, I don't have a weak stomach. I have a pretty ironclad stomach. It's just those chains...

Wait a minute, are you saying I can't take my kids to "good" restaraunts? :mad:

:D Where do you usually eat, I'm bringing the entire family in and sitting right behind you!

Back on topic: I don't like any of the chains either but have also had good luck with Longhorn and Texas Road house.

Hey, I'm all for teaching kids how to act in adult places. That's why I had my son in the strip club.:D

I used all the above mentioned places because when my kids were growing up-it was easier to find something they would eat and not be totally out of place acting like kids.

My LAST trip to an Applebees;
Me: "What do you have for specialty or import beers?"
Waitress: "Oh we have Coors Light, Bud Light,........."
GOODBYE!!

I think Applebees is moving more and more towards fastfood every day. I haven't been in a couple years and never cared much for it (crappy franchise excuse for food, yadda, ydda) but recently I've heard they have taken their beer selection to a new low: all yellow lager and all served "super cold." They used to at least have Guinness and Killians, but apparently they've re-vamped their tap selection, at least at the one closest to my house. I'll be pleased if I never get dragged there again.

Oh, and +1 on Longhorn. Interesting to see I'm not the only one who's had shockingly great experiences there. Some of the best steak for the money and best steak in the world compared with the flavorless leather they serve at outback, crapplebees, etc. I guess not all corporate concept restaurants are created equal, but still too many of them having screaming kids. If the wife and I see a "Kids it free" sign on the door we turn around and get back in the car. :D

Oh, the woos of living in the Pacific Northwest. Other than Mexican (non-chain), I only eat in brewpubs. Never been in an Applebees, but thanks for the warning.

I'm not a huge fan of chains, and I try to eat at independently owned places as much as possible, but the Applebee's close to be is actually pretty good. Very friendly staff, and the food is generally pretty good for bar food.

I think its very easy to label all chains with a good/bad brush because they essentially do aim to be the same across the board, but even a snob like me can appreciate an ice cold Bud and some onion rings done right at a chain once in a while :D

We have a Texas Roadhouse right next to the Applebee's and it's not that bad, I love their ribs, plus they have a lot of local brews on tap which is always a plus... come to think of it, I've always have had a nice urge to poo after Texas... hrmmm.

It's a deal breaker with me when I go into a restaurant and ask what they have on tap and there is not one local brew on the menu.

Hey, I'm all for teaching kids how to act in adult places. That's why I had my son in the strip club.:D

I used all the above mentioned places because when my kids were growing up-it was easier to find something they would eat and not be totally out of place acting like kids.

I see your point then, I am very anal when it comes to how my kids act when we are eating. They are not allowed to get up and run around, bounce in the seat etc. I also make sure they keep their voices low and use proper manners including their napkins on their laps. I mainly accomplish this by drawing with them, playing tic tac toe, and and so on. I see many parents let them climb under the tables and run around all crazy and yes this pisses me off also!

I like outbacks crowned Filet with bluecheese...

Guess I'll just be different and say that I like Applebees/Chilis/TGI Fridays/Red Robin. They don't have the greatest food in the world, but I don't go in there expecting that either. For the most part I get fast friendly service with good food cooked the way it's supposed to be cooked.

I see your point then, I am very anal when it comes to how my kids act when we are eating. They are not allowed to get up and run around, bounce in the seat etc. I also make sure they keep their voices low and use proper manners including their napkins on their laps. I mainly accomplish this by drawing with them, playing tic tac toe, and and so on. I see many parents let them climb under the tables and run around all crazy and yes this pisses me off also!

I like outbacks crowned Filet with bluecheese...

I'm not a huge fan of people that let their kids just run around and do whatever just b/c they are out to eat...

I was brought up the same way, manners, polite and if I messed up I wasn't allowed to go out to dinner for a long time...

We try to raise our daughter the same way, people are amazed how well she behaves when we go out (she loves to eat and color) my niece is a completely different story, she is almost 3 and won't eat anything, she cries and yells, she's obnoxious and embarrassing... I don't know how my in-laws deal with it (altho I guess when you feed your kid nothing but junk that's all they want and don't like real food).

Anyway, we have a Fuddrucker's near us that sucks as well!

Nothing out of the ordinary. Steak and fries. How do you screw that up? Well, it didn't taste bad...not good, but not bad.

Man, that reminds me of a story I tell about going to a local steakhouse chain up here called Charlie Brown's. Not sure if they have them in other places, but anyway...

I order the prime rib, med. rare, with garlic mash. First time the prime rib comes out it's very well done. Ok, I'm not sure why "very well done" prime rib even exists, but OK. I send it back, pointing out that I would like it medium rare, putting as much emphasis on the rare as I can without being an ass. When it comes back, I would say "medium well" would be a generous description. Who orders prime rib done that well?

Then I tried the mashed potatoes. I nearly gagged. MRE potatoes au grautin taste better. Seriously. At that point I almost hoped they had "creatively seasoned" them when I sent the meat back, because if that's the way they normally taste then they have no damn business running a restaurant.

How in the hell can you screw up prime rib and mashed potatoes? It's not like I'm a food snob or anything, that's just steakhouse 101!

I'm afraid they only get one chance with me.

If it screws up then I send it back and I don't eat. No second chance.
I don't trust them. I sit there until any others in the party have eaten then leave.

I've been places that bad that I've told them they have ruined the evening and told them that I don't think the food is worth the menu price and made them an offer.
It is their job to serve food to a minimum standard. If they can't do it then they do not deserve to be paid for it.

rant

Ok so....do y'all really want to know my absolute biggest beef with chains? They tend to push out bonafide local cuisine and/or unique establishments. Now before you think I am going all conspiracy theory on it, hear me out.

A major source of restaurant income is not just local business but travel based especially in areas of tourism. When travelers (Americans travel a lot) go abroad, rather than seeking indigenous cuisine, they look for 'ole familiar. Sure it may be freezer food from a plant in NJ, but at least it all tastes the same right??

Hence the reason why you go to Puerto Rico or Niagara Falls, Canada and have the darnedest time finding any place that has cuisine that speaks of the roots of the area. You have to really dig to find places, and then it can be a crap shoot which is a big reason we see a loss of restaurants that continue in the tradition of the area. I (and others) call it the Americanization of a culture. Now I do love my country, but I hate seeing culture being lost.

I'll never forget being on vacation in Puerto Rico and having some of the people who were with us voting for Burger King for dinner. I mean seriously, why the heck even leave home when half the part of experiencing a region is to experience the food culture?

I have a gazillion of these chains to pick from in State College, PA but not terribly many places that are unique and serve great food. That's why I tend not to go out much. Then again, we don't have a particularly well defined local cuisine like you'd see in say areas of Texas where you can get true Tex-Mex cuisine, etc....but it would be nice to have some places that have soul.

/rant

American fast food chains have not sprung up all over the globe due to Americans on vacation. They do well abroad for the same reason they do well here. Fast and cheap food that doesn't make you vomit.

American fast food chains have not sprung up all over the globe due to Americans on vacation. They do well abroad for the same reason they do well here. Fast and cheap food that doesn't make you vomit.

Franchises are an American invention. I'm sorry if my statement was misleading...yes they are garnering the local business and that is their mainstay. I was more making the point that when Americans (or others from other countries who are familiar with a franchise) travel they know they can get a BK hamburger that is safe to eat and familiar, which is fine...but at the same time it prevents local eateries from flourishing. Aside from which, unless the food is horribly spoiled the act of cooking it will render localized parasites/bugs/etc harmless to travelers.

My wife used to like to go to Applebees once in a great while, I always complained about going there and wasting my money on subpar food. After taking her to some great burger joints and hangout spots she came to understand just how bad Applebees sucks a$$.
Edit Oh man it totally pi$$es me off when someone wants to go to an American establishment when out of country! I was in Spain once and one of my friends just had to go to Starbucks because "they have real coffee" I was like what the hell!!

Franchises are an American invention. I'm sorry if my statement was misleading...yes they are garnering the local business and that is their mainstay. I was more making the point that when Americans (or others from other countries who are familiar with a franchise) travel they know they can get a BK hamburger that is safe to eat and familiar, which is fine...but at the same time it prevents local eateries from flourishing. Aside from which, unless the food is horribly spoiled the act of cooking it will render localized parasites/bugs/etc harmless to travelers.

+1. I agree. I travel a lot and it's hard to find a decent restaurant that is home owned. I miss all the ethnic food possibilities that living in Germany provided. Name the ethnic food, and there was a restarurnt nearyby.

BTW, here's a home grown burger joint in Austin that is highly recommended.

toppicclean.jpg

My wife used to like to go to Applebees once in a great while, I always complained about going there and wasting my money on subpar food. After taking her to some great burger joints and hangout spots she came to understand just how bad Applebees sucks a$$.
Edit Oh man it totally pi$$es me off when someone wants to go to an American establishment when out of country! I was in Spain once and one of my friends just had to go to Starbucks because "they have real coffee" I was like what the hell!!

I bet they ran away from the Tapas bars like the plague?

+1. I agree. I travel a lot and it's hard to find a decent restaurant that is home owned. I miss all the ethnic food possibilities that living in Germany provided. Name the ethnic food, and there was a restarurnt nearyby.

BTW, here's a home grown burger joint in Austin that is highly recommended.

toppicclean.jpg

I'll have to check that out if I am ever down that way.

My wife and I used to like going to applebee's (before we actually got married.) The food was nothing special, but it was decent and in our opinion, it was better than most of the other chain restaurants around us. In the last few years the food there became very generic and relatively tasteless. I don't know if it coincided with the company being bought by IHOP or what caused the change, but the food is just ordinary now.

I will say one thing with the large Hispanic population in Oregon there is some killer Mexican here, if you eat at TacoHell here your a fool in my opinion.

Back