chinook ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezekiel71378

Reaction score
hey guys, im prepping to brew my first ipa and im wanting to use chinook hops. has anyone used chinook as a hop for an ipa? what should i expect out of the aroma and flavor? thanks

My 2nd ever batch was the NB Chinook IPA kit. I still regard it as the best beer I've made to date. I dont know how to properly describe the hops, but i would say they are more piney/citrusey than their descriptions usually let on. Descriptions for the hop itself usually peg it as earthy/spicy. I think more of a heavy/dank from that description, but I didn't get that impression in the beer.

Probably not as citrusy as the well-known citrus-type hops, but I enjoyed the brew very much.

the ipa im doing is a 1.070 beer and the hop schedule i put together is 1 oz centennial for 60 min. 1 oz chinook @ 15, 10, 5 and flame out. im thinking of dry hopping with 2 oz of centennial. this is more hops than i have ever used. does this sound like overkill?

the ipa im doing is a 1.070 beer and the hop schedule i put together is 1 oz centennial for 60 min. 1 oz chinook @ 15, 10, 5 and flame out. im thinking of dry hopping with 2 oz of centennial. this is more hops than i have ever used. does this sound like overkill?

looks reasonable to me.

I prefer using Chinook over Centennial for bittering because it's higher alpha and slightly less aromatic; but it is mostly a matter of preference. Both are piney and citrusy to an extent.

7 oz. total hops for 5 gallons of 1.070 OG IPA is about average. You're safe.

If you want a comparison, Stone IPA follows a 90/15/DH hop schedule. It is bittered with Magnum & Perle. They supposedly use Centennial in the boil at 15 min and in the dryhop. There is no Chinook in the boil. The 2:1 Centennial dryhop is supplemented with a 1:2 ratio of Chinook.

Back