may have messed up help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeyakid

Reaction score
ok guys so i was making my first brew a pale ale when i get to the yeast the package said to boil to 102 degrees so it can activate the yeast so i did that and let it sit for 15 mins as the instructions on it said. then i stirred it and let it sit there while i cooled my work down the instructions said to cool 90 but i was afraid i was letting the yeast sit for to long so i added it at 90 degrees......so my question is did i mess up bad...is the batch not gunna come out good

Snuh? 102 is no where close to boiling and I think if you reread it it wants you to hydrate the yeast with water that temp.

i know this is why i was so confused it didnt say anything about hydrating it tho

i know this is why i was so confused it didnt say anything about hydrating it tho

Poorly written directions I guess. Most likely your beer will be fine. Just give it time. I have screwed something up on all my brews so far and for the most part they have been drinkable and few very good.

As I read the OP I thought that the yeast itself was boiled in the water and then cooled to 90. Confused.

If the yeast was boiled at any point it was killed and you will need to pitch more.

Pitching into 90 degree wort is not the best, but will not kill the yeast.

Get the temperature of the wort down into the mid sixties as soon as you can and keep it there throughout the fermentation.

Search swamp coolers.

hey guys i got it to 102, and it appears to be fermenting i guess it didnt kill it although the directions were terrible for the yeast and im gunna give it more time to cool down from now on, thanks for all the help

Back