'Jamil' book recipe substitute for Special Roast 50L

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
I am ordering ingredients to make the Nutty Man brown ale recipe from "Brewing Classic Styles", but the place that I am ordering from does not have the "special roast 50L" steeping grain. what would be a decent substitute(s) or can I use something with a similar lovibond rating to achieve a similar flavor/color? thanks in advance.

thanks guys. this is in a recipe ("NuttyMan brown Ale") where the special malt is only .5 lbs of a nearly 3 lb steeping grain bill...will it really even make a huge difference to sub a general "lighter" grain?

thanks guys. this is in a recipe ("NuttyMan brown Ale") where the special malt is only .5 lbs of a nearly 3 lb steeping grain bill...will it really even make a huge difference to sub a general "lighter" grain?

A half pound is a pretty good chunk of specialty grain, and it'll probably make a difference. Of course the resulting beer will likely taste fine, it just won't be exactly what was intended.

When are you brewing? I'm sure plenty of online vendors carry that grain.

Nothing, I repeat nothing is like Special Roast. The first time I used that in a beer, it blew my mind. You can sub it out with some other stuff, but it won't be the same.

+1 Evan. I brewed with it Saturday and it is tasty.

snailsongs - I'm brewing that recipe on my next batch - funny you should mention it.

So far that book is hitting 1000 with it's recipes!! The West Coast Blaster is great!! The American Amber is good. In fact looking back every one I have tried from that book are the favorites. hmmmmmmm . . . . I never realized that until now!

Special Roast contributes tangy sourdough or toasty biscuit notes to the flavor, while contributing deep golden to brown hues to the color. It works well in nut brown ales, porters, and other darker beer styles.

Nothing, I repeat nothing is like Special Roast. The first time I used that in a beer, it blew my mind. You can sub it out with some other stuff, but it won't be the same.

Old Jubilation is the first beer I think I've had that is made with it... At least that I know. It totally rocks. I want to try it in my double porter in place of some of the C60 next time I do it.
:rockin:

Allrighty, I'm sold. I'll make the extra effort to find some.....and probably pay a separate shipping charge, because the places that carry the rest of the grail bill are lacking Special roast, but those that do carry it don't seem to have the rest. I just wanted some one stop shopping. thanks again for your help.

Back