how to clean kettle of oil residue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
got me an old turkey pot that needs a good pre-brew cleaning. Any suggestions?
BTW its a speckled coated metal pot so I reckon nothing too abrasive or caustic.

Thanks

make real sure there are no spots where the enamel has chipped off before you waste a lot of time cleaning it

Try the dishwasher. That's where I put my turkey fryer / brew pot after I fried something in it.

Kai

I fried turkeys with my turkey fryer once. I will never do it again. Peanut oil and turkey grease everywhere. I used dish detergent and lots of work to clean that pot. The oil and grease were so thick that it took 4 cleanings before the pot didn't feel greasy. The last thing I wanted was that muck getting into my home brew so I did a very thorough job.
All I can tell you is soap, water, and lots of elbow grease

Oh and; RDWHAHB :mug:

If it's got a ceramic coating then I'd suggest soap and bar keepers friend. The powdered kind is abrasive but they don't say not to use it on ceramic.. they recommend it in fact. Anyhow I don't use it on my very expensive ceramic cookware (Le Creuset).. I use the liquid bar keepers friend instead and it really works well.. better than dish soap for some stuff.

I'd like to reiterate what rod said.. the pot is steel and if there's any cracks or chips in the ceramic coating then the steel may well make your beer taste metallic.

Back