Brown Ale Recipe Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's what I have so far...

Marris Otter for Base Malt (going to come up with a wieght this evening. Want to be around 1.055 for an SG).

9 OZ Simpson's Chocolate Malt

5.35 oz Briess Special Roast

4.55 oz Durst Munich

2.55 oz Wyermann Dark Wheat

.90 oz Centennial (bittering)

.55 oz Fuggle (flavor)

.55 oz Wiliamette (flavor)

.55 oz East Kent Golding

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Now, here's my question. I just found another Ounce of East Kent Goldings in the Freezer. Think I should divide it into equal portions and use half in the Bittering and the other half in the Aroma? Or just throw the whole ounce into the Bittering?

Also a Big Thank You to BobNQ3X for the recipe help.:mug:

9 oz is a lot of chocolate for a brown ale. That small of an amount of munich will not come through considering you're already using maris otter for a base malt and chocolate too. What type of brown is this supposed to be? I would personally save centennial for flavor and/or aroma in an american pale or IPA and just use your goldings for bittering in this, it fits better with the rest of your hop schedule anyways.

I agree on saving the Centennial. If you have more EKG or Fuggles this it the place to use them if you're going British.. Are you shooting for an American Brown, Northern English Brown or Southern English Brown?

The answer to that question may determine the responses you get to your grain bill.

All these ingredients are left overs from previous Batches. Hence the reason I am using them. As far as the Chocolate goes, I have knocked it down to 6 ounces.

Back