Dual gauge regulator - why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
Why do most use a two gauge regulator? What is the high pressure gauge needed for? The reason I ask is that I can probably get a single gauge (low pressure) regulator for free, and was wondering if this would work for my two kegs I plan to have? I know I have lots of questions, but any help would be great!

Jason

My understanding is that with a dual gauge, one gauge is tank pressure, and the other is line pressure. With a single gauge you get only the line pressure. But I think I read somewhere that the tank pressure will read fine until the very last minute anyway....

Yes, the second gauge is just tank pressure, and it will remain steady until the tank is nearly empty. It's far from necessary, but it does at least give you a warning before the gas runs out, not TOO far in advance, but far enough that you can safely get it filled before drawing too many more pints... Provided you pay attention to the gauge at least.

All the high pressure gauge really does is tell you when you have the tank valve open or closed. It's useless for gauging how much gas is left so go ahead and use your FREE regulator. You could buy a high side gauge separately later on if you want it.

grab that free regulator for sure! the high pressure gauge is just a luxury option.

The only thing I would consider is if the "free" regulator is a secondary regulator. Some are rated for the high pressure of the tank, others are not and could be dangerous.

anoldur said:
The only thing I would consider is if the "free" regulator is a secondary regulator. Some are rated for the high pressure of the tank, others are not and could be dangerous.

I think it probably would be as it is coming from a coca-cola distributor-type company that works on the machines for the restaurants, but I will definitely check into that. Thanks

Jason

Back