Electric Eye cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foureyedgeek

Reaction score
I picked up 5 gallons of cider from a local orchard yesterday afternoon.

The cider is not pasteurized and no preservatives, but the lady there said they use an 'electric eye'?

She also said there's nothing wild in it and it would make a great hard cider.

I did a search but came up empty handed, any idea what the electric eye does?

Ditto the uv. It gets passed through a thin clear tube with an intense UV light. Kills most all of the bugs but doesn't hurt the taste.

I wonder though, UV has been shown in many studies to be less effective than previously thought. UV light also damages flavor by breaking down chemical chains.

UV is still used in decontamination labs. It is not perfect, but what is? *grin* As for flavor break down, I would think it would need a longer exposure than the few miliseconds it gets in this situation. Dunno, I don't own or operate one, just seen em used a few times. Fun looking toys

You're probably right ;) Shining a purple light on things to decontaminate them is way too sci-fi for me. I tested UV lights like this in microbiology in college, but you basically have to keep the light on the same spot for several seconds. Anything moving, i.e. in air currents, will barely be affected.

Back