Stout Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgontasz

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Here lately, I've noticed that I've been making fantastic IPA's and pale ales, but my stouts are far from great! In several stout's I've brewed, I have gotten no roasted flavor, but a very unpleasant taste that can only be described as "twang"n or harsh. What is going on here? I have done a RIS with a ton of roasted barley, chocolate, and black patent and zero roast! Any help is much appreciated!

I've used it in some, but not all of my stouts. I'm most concerned about the lack of the flavors that I should be getting from these grains!

Sometimes it is all in the hops. I have tasted my wort pre-boil in my more malty beers, and it just tastes like sweet syrup; then I add hops (i like to use fuggles in my less hoppy stouts) and the wort transforms into a roasty beautiful beast. Using certain yeasts will leave that hop flavor be, others will kill it.

I usually use low AA hops in my stouts and I've used WL california V, s-05, and nottingham. All with the same issue. I've heard that it may be my water. I really don't have a very good grasp of PH issues and how it affects beer. I have never tested it and have no idea if it may be the issue. I have "city water" and I've always gone by the idea that if the water tastes good by its self, it should be good for beer. Is my thought process wrong here?

Latest posts

Back