Found a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenBrew

Reaction score
Not sure if this thread is proper here, but I'm not sure where/who else to ask!

I'm getting ready to make my own kegerator, so I've had my eye out for cheap/free fridges or anything keg related. On a walk tonight with my wife, I saw a 1/2 barrel keg that used to have miller lite in it in front of someone's house with a sign that said "free", so since I'm on the lookout I naturally took it.

Is there anything I can do with this keg? Or do I pretty much need to take it in somewhere that distributes Miller?

Do whatever you feel right, I'm not here to tell you what to do or lay a guilt trip on you.

If you decide to keep it, you can either ferment in it or cut the top off and make it into a BK.

If you decide to return it, call around and see who will take it. Scrap yards won't take them, and distributors may not take them back if you don't have the paperwork/receipts.

great deal.
Pretty easy to disassemble and clean, lots of threads on here on how to do it.
Youtube videos as well.
Depressurize, remove spear, soak keg with oxyclean, disassemble spear, soak parts, rinse, sanitize, etc.

If you just want commercial beer for your kegerator, you don't need to do any of those things. You can use it as a trade in on another keg at most party stores.

Back