Nasty phenolic taste...Wild yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob3000

Reaction score
I bottle a saison a few days ago and couldn't resist trying a small bottle today. It was already quite carbed and had a nasty phenolic taste. It had tasted great out of the fermenter so i was really annoyed. It also had the exact taste i had in a previous saison. This one used WLP 566 and my other one used dupont cultured from the bottle.
I would discribe the taste and aroma as being like an electric fire or circuit board.
I did pitch a bit warmer than i should at 21c and ramped it up to about 26c by the end.
My last two batches have been pale ales and have suffered from what i think are fermentation problems and have had alot of acetaldehyde.

Could the two problems be linked?

By the way, I clean my bottles with an over night soak in bleach and then sanitise with a iodene solution.

Yes, i rinsed in warm water. I did the the same proccess as i did for other brews that don't have this flavour.

Back