Very pale washed 3711 yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheldon

Reaction score
After brewing a Rye Saisson, I washed the 3711 yeast early this week. I now have 2 mason jars that are both very pale looking with very little trub at the bottom. I have washed a few other yeasts in the past and the color is so much darker. Is this normal or did I do something wrong in the process.

Thanks,

Sheldon

No, my washed 3711 is very pail too. Then I repitched some of the washed yeast 5days ago and I just checked its at 1.006 from 1.056 and the sample tastes like it should. So fear not, give ot a try.

gracias run4beer. Don't plan on using for a while, was just concerned. Gona use a washed Belgian yeast thats been in frig since 2/11. Now that baby had some color to it.

If its been since Feb. you'll want to wake to up in a starter. I've never made any conection b/t color and viability of yeast slant. If its old, 3-4 weeks I make a starter and note its activity, lag time and smell before deciding it I'm going to ptich it.

I have prepared a starter for my belgian sleeping yeast last nite. Hope it wakes up, so far, not much yeast showing up at the bottom of the flask.

My saison with 3711 will be my first attempt at washing yeast. My LHBS doesn;t carry wyeast so I want to make sure I have yeast for my next saison.

3711 is a good yeast to wash and keep its tough and can take the rough handling.

Back