Hefeweizen Yeast to Harvest From Commercial Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Does anybody know of any American/German Wheat Beers (Hefeweizen) that use the primary strain in bottling? I despise purchasing yeast and get a kick out of harvesting it. I am looking for a hefe yeast with banana/clove/bubblegum character for a refreshing summertime hefe and a possible weizenbock.

I don't want neutral yeast from some crappy beer like oberon or widmer american wheat (I can't call it hefe). :D

I think that hefe isn't filtered, henceforth the cloudiness. Any good german hef will have the yeast slurry at the bottom

djsethall said:
I think that hefe isn't filtered, henceforth the cloudiness. Any good german hef will have the yeast slurry at the bottom

While its true that german weizens aren't filtered, they are usually pastuerized and then a 2nd yeast is added back at bottling along with some unfermented wort to induce carbonation. That being said, I don't know which weizens may have the primary strain in the bottle.

If you can get it, Live Oak's Heffe has a killer strain in it that I have used for great results. Its a true blue Bavarian strain. I think that beer is only available on tap and growler fills in Texas though. SOrry guess im no help :(

If you can get it, Live Oak's Heffe has a killer strain in it that I have used for great results. Its a true blue Bavarian strain. I think that beer is only available on tap and growler fills in Texas though. SOrry guess im no help :(

This is a big help as I live in Texas and can get growlers of this fairly easily....

Hmm.. I may need to harvest the yeast from their Primus also...

Back