Brown Porter....???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDawg28

Reaction score
Im working on my 1st ever homebrew. The kit came from AHS and is the Brown Porter. It started at 1.054 and ended at 1.014 while in the primary. I racked it over to a secondary to clear it up a bit. I took a taste and thought it was a good beer that I will be happy with but was hoping for more touch of coffee taste. Can I do anything while in secondary to gain some. I dont want an overwhelming taste, just a little extra.

Im working on my 1st ever homebrew. The kit came from AHS and is the Brown Porter. It started at 1.054 and ended at 1.014 while in the primary. I racked it over to a secondary to clear it up a bit. I took a taste and thought it was a good beer that I will be happy with but was hoping for more touch of coffee taste. Can I do anything while in secondary to gain some. I dont want an overwhelming taste, just a little extra.

I'm sure you could add some coffee. Do a search on coffee porter for more info.

Don't mess with this one. It's going to change a lot as it conditions. Some will say this is why you shouldn't be tasting it, but personally, I think this helps you understand the stages. Just leave the beer do its thing, and see how tastes after 3 weeks in the bottle. Hell, taste a bottle after one week, and have one after two. Save a few bottles and see how it keeps getting better. After you brew more, then you can start adjusting things with secondary additions. No need to rush, you'll be brewing more:mug:

Don't mess with this one. It's going to change a lot as it conditions. Some will say this is why you shouldn't be tasting it, but personally, I think this helps you understand the stages. Just leave the beer do its thing, and see how tastes after 3 weeks in the bottle. Hell, taste a bottle after one week, and have one after two. Save a few bottles and see how it keeps getting better. After you brew more, then you can start adjusting things with secondary additions. No need to rush, you'll be brewing more:mug:

I think this is good advice....Im going to leave it alone.

Dawg,

YES you can easily add some coffee flavor. It is very easy at this point of your brew. When you go to bottle, add some brewed espresso or strong cooled coffee to your bottling bucket right along with the priming sugar solution. I've done this a few time with great results. Easy and you won't regret it.

NRS

Back