cider is giving off an odd smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martn55

Reaction score
I just started a batch of cider the other day maybe 4 days ago and it really didnt do too much fermenting that i could see. I mean the airlock only bubbled slighty for about a day. I used a white labs english cider yeast. the thing that is giving me cause to ask is that my basement smells like egg farts. Its coming out of my airlock. when i sniff it, its really smells just like an egg fart. Is this normal or what? The reason i ask is because i am about to start another batch and do it the same way except to use some noittingham yeast. I have also read something about nutrients what is this and is it important? I did add about three and half pounds of honey and brown sugar to this batch if this matters.

Read the thread about Edwort's Apfelwein. It is described as rhino farts. It will go away in a few days. I have read that nutrient helps, but it is not required.

thanks guys i did read something on the smell after i posted this, but i do apprcieate the responses.

Back