Best fermentation temp for ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellBentBrewCo

Reaction score
Ive been reading a lot about germ temps and I've yet to find a consensus on what the beat temp for an ale is. I usually try to ferment around 65 but my basement is now at 60. Is this going to cause me problems

There's no consensus because there are too many variables. Ale is a broad base of drink to pigeon hole into one specific "correct" ferment temperature. It is very yeast/style/flavor profile desire dependent.

So what do you like to make, what yeast are you using, and what is your desire as far as ester profile?

I tend to ferment at 60*, but I also tend to make pale ales with S05 and want as clean a profile as possible.

(Side note, if you are brewing with no temp control system, and your basement ambiant temp is 60*, I wouldn't be surprised if the heat caused by the yeast themselves raises your fermentation temp to close to 65*)

All of the yeast manufacturer's list the optimum temperatures of each strain on their website.

Some strains are fine at 57-59 degrees, while others need to be a bit warmer. I've made lager-like beers with pacman at 60, nottingham at 59, and alts and kolschs in the high 50s.

Remember that it's the actual fermentation temperature that's important- not room temperature. In a warm room in the the summer, I've seen the fermenting beer be 10 degrees warmer than ambient! Usually, a cool ferment will only be a degree or two warmer, sometimes three, than the ambient. If you get a stick-on thermometer for the fermenter, that's pretty close to fermentation temperature.

I have a cooler that I use to keep my ales cool enough in the summer. I put the fermenter in a water bath, and cycle frozen water bottles in it to keep the desired temperature. I do sort of the same thing in the winter, but this time it's with an aquarium heater in the water bath. It was cheap (under $10) and I can keep my fermenting beer at 70 degrees if I want, with that aquarium heater in the water bath. (There are pictures in my gallery if you want to wade through 100 other pictures first!).

Back