Has anybody here built a kit plane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selfsufficient

Reaction score
Just a random thought as I sit here drinking some homebrew and longing for the skies. I'm on vacation and I am gonna check out a nearby business that helps homebuilders with space and tools. I wish the economy was better as I would not hesitate to buy an RV-7A. Not in the cards unless the lottery comes through. But I would love to hear some stories if they are out there. :mug:

I have not built a kit plane, but I know several people who have. The only problem really with a kit plane is the testing phase. A lot of kit builders make the mistake and test it themselves. Obviously a mistake on that front, as either they have 100 hours or 1000 hours, but have only repeated the first 100 hours 10 times over. A tremendous lapse of judgment and an overriding vision of grandeur to test out a high-performance home-built civilian aircraft without a lot of experience with testing. I have a few buddies with thousands of hours TT and they will not touch a home-built plane out of fear. Everything has to be second nature and even then, spring-loaded to corrective controls may not work in a plane that has defects.

Bah, fixed wing? You gotta have an airport. Build this kit and just take off from your driveway.

Skylrk_Jn.jpg

Latest posts

Back