controlling flow of march pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
I am doing my research on pumps as I am upgrading again. I have never had a pump and seems like March is the popular choice so I will more than likely go with the H315HF from morebeer unless i can get it cheaper somewhere else.

So before this my system was all gravity fed, so i would control the flow from my mashtun with my ball valve.

Now correct me if i am wrong but if i am using a march pump do I just put a ball valve after the pump and use it to control the flow? So i would open the ball valve on my mashtun the whole way and then use the ball valve after the pump for flow control?
I hope i made my question clear. Thanks for the help!!

Yes, although I prefer a gate valve on the outlet side of the pump for flow control.

ok. Any suggestions on between 809 and H315 model??

I believe that they are one and the same. The 809 is the March number and the H315 is MoreBeer's designation. The H315 has been replaced with the H315HF. This is a slightly improved version of the same pump at the same price.

Controlling the pump flow with a valve on the outlet is recommended. Since this is a centrifugal pump, you can completely close the valve for long periods of time with the pump running and not have any damage. If you listen to the motor, you will hear the pump motor speed up as the valve is fully closed. This indicates that the load on the pump actually decreases. This is the same thing that happens when you put your hand over the nozzle on a vacuum cleaner, the speed goes up because the pump is not really doing anything except spin. Its not moving the fluid.

The only difference between our standard 809's and the "beer" models is that the beer models have a plug on the end of the cord and have a mounting base. If you can wire up a plug and get creative with the mounting you can use the standard 809's...its all up to you as to how "plug and play" you want it. :)

-Walter

Back