Keg carb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmlavoy

Reaction score
So, I've been having some issues with getting a keg to carb (mainly due to my not checking for leaks). Got that all worked out. So, I've had this keg sitting for a while that I had some sugar solution in, and there's plenty of pressure. Tonight, just to be sure, I pulled a glass. Lots of foam. Flat beer.

Here's my questions: the keg was warm. Is that why there was no CO2 in solution (as I know that beers carb better cold)? Or should it be even somewhat carbed when I pull a glass? Again, loads of foam, flat beer, confused new kegger.

Followup, sort of unrelated question about the beer gun. If you transfer beer to a keg with priming sugar, then bottle the beer before it's carbed with the beer gun, should it not reasonably carb? Or is it just better to wait a week or two first, chill it, then bottle?

define a while, the keg needs to sit unopened for 3 weeks, think of it as a big bottle. Additionally if you have leaks, the CO2 can get out and not properly carb the beer.

It is possible all your sugar was eaten up by the yeast when the leak was there so all that natural carbonation is gone.

I put my cream ale at 30 psi for 24 hours, then 15 psi for 3 days, then lowered to 10 and tried one. The temp was probably 45. A little under-carbed but very drinkable. The next day it was perfect. I never shook the tank at all - just let it sit.

I am not sure what all this 3 weeks of waiting is all about, I've never had to wait that long for my beer to carb - either naturally or forced.

It is possible all your sugar was eaten up by the yeast when the leak was there so all that natural carbonation is gone.

I put my cream ale at 30 psi for 24 hours, then 15 psi for 3 days, then lowered to 10 and tried one. The temp was probably 45. A little under-carbed but very drinkable. The next day it was perfect. I never shook the tank at all - just let it sit.

I am not sure what all this 3 weeks of waiting is all about, I've never had to wait that long for my beer to carb - either naturally or forced.

3 weeks if he is carbing naturally using sugar, while the beer is probably carbed after a week or 2 and will continue to carb once it is place on CO2, it is best to wait 3 weeks as if it were a giant bottle.

Right. My sugar got all eaten up and lost in the leak. I fixed that problem. Re-sugared, no leaks. Loads of foam, but the beer isn't carbonated at all. Just flat beer sitting under the foam, with no bubbles in solution. Is that a temp issue, or should I just be waiting longer? It's been at least 3 weeks already.

As a caveat, I do have CO2 now. I suppose I could just force carb it, but that gets back to my main question. I wouldn't really be chilling the beer until I drink it. Does a warm (ie. room temperature) beer taste carbonated out of a keg? Or do you need to somewhat chill it before you get the bubbles?

Back