any way around the taste off sorghum syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwxxx

Reaction score
Hey..
I have been brewing a coupel of GF beer, bur the taste off sorghum syrup is very strong, like iron...

Is it so that sorghum syrup taste like that ??

Next try will be whit ris syrup an a lot less sorghum..

Well, if you notice not many recipes are all sorghum around here, but most people use other fermentables cover/compliment the taste of sorghum.

That being said here are some general guidelines people around here use when using sorghum:

1. Add it at flameout or just before. The longer it boils the more metallic twang you will get.
2. Keep the sorghum syrup to 2/3 of your grist or less. A nice hop profile, 2/3's sorghum and the rest rice syrup, rice syrup solids, honey candi syrup, etc. (or some combination thereof) and you'll have a good beer.
3. Some people claim using yeast nutrient with DAP reduces the twang too.

3. Some people claim using yeast nutrient with DAP reduces the twang too.[/QUOTE]

Thanks great info,
but what is DAP in yeast nutrient ?

Diammonium phosphate.

The yeast nutrient I use (Carlson) has it in it.

Kegging. No word of a lie it's the best thing I've done.

I always found my beers were great from the fermenter, then they'd go in bottles for a while and it would take ages to get back to that flavour. Now I go into the keg, force carb and drinking it 24 hours later (within 7 days it's fully carbed).

Latest posts

Back