How much do you brew??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are buying beer as well, your bottle supply should be growing.
That plus having one or two buddies save brown glass bottles and before you know it you are telling people just to save the cardboard six pack holders, you have the bottles to fill them.

Kegging does make it better though! Saves a bunch of time.
As a working single dad, the time spent filling bottles is time I would rather have for something else.

Sorry...to clarify, it isn't that I have a shortage of empty bottles coming in (quite the opposite in fact ;)) so much as I have somewhat limited storage space and I don't really want to have a couple hundred bottles laying around in plain sight.

Maybe that's the kick in the butt I need to free up some space in my basement utility room...

I brew more in summer and winter (I teach and coach CC and track - so spring and fall are crazy). But, I would say I brew 2-4 five gallon batches per month in spring and fall. Summer and winter - Probably pushing 4-8 five gallon batches per month. When I am able to brew a lot, I mix in beers that may not be ready for 6 months to a year (BSDA, Barley Wine, Bourbon Barrel Porter, etc.) Usually when I brew, I try to do 2 five gallon batches in one day. And then on weekends I don't brew, I usually am bottling, kegging or doing some other beer related activity. My guess is that in a 52 week year, I am doing at least one thing related to the brewing process 45-48 weeks.

There are months when I brew 3-4 times in 4 weeks and then there are others when I don't brew for 2 months. Depends on work schedule, life, beer pipeline etc. I generaly brew 10 gal batches now but occasionally throw in a few 5 gat batches as well.

beerloaf

2-3 ten gallon batches per month, consistently. I share... and have to keep her full:

image-1027001166.jpg

I'm jealous of a lot of you. I brew a 5 g batch probably every four weeks. Once I get it out of my fermenting bucket, I wait till the next weekend to brew. I've been brewing since February and have done 11 batches. But, I'm mostly drinking it by myself. Don't worry, I've started running a lot more

It's always the girlfriend keeping tags. Mine is a celiac, can't drink and doesnt mind me brewing, she is just concerned I drink a lot. I do make trippels with 8 to 9% octane. So having a couple is like having 4. So I can see her point. I mean we all want to have livers and kidneys at the end of the day ( plus she is a doctor and she reminds me of the health factors every time) so I brew about 5 gallons monthly. I give "some" away or drink it with friends.

Sorry...to clarify, it isn't that I have a shortage of empty bottles coming in (quite the opposite in fact ;)) so much as I have somewhat limited storage space and I don't really want to have a couple hundred bottles laying around in plain sight.

Maybe that's the kick in the butt I need to free up some space in my basement utility room...

That is a problem that I can understand. I've got a pretty fair sized house, just my daughter and I, and I don't have places for tons of extra bottles. Especially places that are out of the way AND a temperature that I want to store beer at. ( old house with area's that are very cold in winter and hot in summer).

The keg helps with that! A smallish chest freezer will keep a few kegs nice and cold ready to go with a small footprint and you can build a cabinet around it so that it looks nice.

boxofjibboo said:
I'm jealous of a lot of you. I brew a 5 g batch probably every four weeks. Once I get it out of my fermenting bucket, I wait till the next weekend to brew. I've been brewing since February and have done 11 batches. But, I'm mostly drinking it by myself. Don't worry, I've started running a lot more

LOL. This is how I am. I'm really the only one who drinks my beer (gf will drink some if there's a hefe on tap, bro in law will occasionally help but he's content with Miller lite). So I don't brew much anymore since I really only drink on the weekends (running/exercising during the week makes me not feel like beer during the week). I'm at about 1 5 gallon batch a month, sometimes 2. Thinking about doing 3gal AG batches.

my goal is at least one batch a month - slipped off quite a bit lately though, but i had brewed about 15 batches this year already so i'm okay. :)

I average a 6 gallon batch or two per month during the cold months.

Whenever my fermenter is free and my weekend isn't full. Came out to 3 times last month and only 1 this month. All 5gal batches. Gonna be late this month or early next month before I get to brew again since I've got an old ale in the fermenter now. It's actually done, but I want to let the yeast to clean up after themselves before I bottle. Filthy little things. SWMBO won't let me have more than 1 going at a time :(

Well I'll be on the far end of this one, Have 6 fermenters, 28 5gallon kegs, 2 3gallon kegs a kezzer that has 12 taps, holds 14 kegs (2 conditioning/waiting) + the 2 3gallon kegs for emergencies or going somewhere. I like keep a wide variety 2 are dedicated nitro/stout taps so if anyone stops by and can't find one they like there to picky. That being said I brew when ever a keg kicks, lagers take 3 months, Imperials 3-6 months so depends on what your brewing. Took 3 months of once a week brewing to fill my kezzer while drinking out of my old 2 tap that has gone on to a pupil of my brewing, once the pipeline is up running it's self sustaining. Brew 5 gallon AG batches got the best wife in the world she likes that this hobby keeps me home and not at the bar, plus she likes some of the beers has a great pallet even if she thinks all IPA's are too better but she can pick out quite a few of hop styles. Good luck

I split 10 gallon batches with a friend every other weekend with the occasional 5 gallon batch thrown in. Usually slow down during the winter months.

One 5 gallon batch a week on average. Sometimes twice a week. I like to do 3 gallon BIAB's in between every once in awhile too.

Back