Fairbanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I have hear about that but it just Kool to talk to other brewers about what they do for water and good grains exchange beers and get feed back about the beer we brew

metalpysko said:
Yea I have hear about that but it just Kool to talk to other brewers about what they do for water and good grains exchange beers and get feed back about the beer we brew

Definitely, it's been surprising to see how many brewers there are in the Fairbanks area. I'm on College Utilities water and have been pleased with the outcome. We run our kitchen tap water through a charcoal filter. Since going to all grain BIAB I've been buying 50 lb sacks of 2 row, then specialty malts as needed.

how about we make a brew club here and be the first that actually meets once a month rather than once a year

I would be excited to start a brew club, I'm just getting started into home brewing for the first time, I think it would be great!

All grain on an electric stove. Nothing fancy a HD cooler as a MLT and that's about it. Get all my supplies at brew time.

Brew time is freaking awesome I'm so happy that they opened up finally we can brew the beers we want to

I really like them. Good people! I should have a Maris otter/Citra SMaSH bottling soon...need to get into kegging though seems like it saves a lot of hassle.

Yeah it just sucks dealing with shipping kegging equipment up plus a kegerator. There's one on Craigslist but they are asking a good bit for it. What all have you brewed so far?

I'm an all grain brewer I have brewed stouts ipa pale ales porter I attempted a lambic it didn't turn out so well. I haven't tried lager but i am going to give it a shot here soon just gotta get more grain. I have made meads and wine and soda

How was soda? I recently made the jump to all grain and wish I would have from the beginning. Way better way to brew. I made a craft beer facebook page for up here but it's dead haha.

I did a 2.5 gallon batch but it was my first AG brew and didnt turn out well so it's bottle conditioning now to mellow it out. I just bottled my citra maris smash tonight. Hopefully will open the first bottle on new years

I'm on College Utilities water, and have had good luck with just using a carbon filter.

I have been using Fox spring water with no issues, unfiltered. There is a club up here, but there are only two meetings a year. Is anyone interested in meeting more often?

Yea I am I sure would like feed back from my brews to know if there any good and some stuff I have in the works

I dont think so compared to gavoras there cheap and they have an amazing selection of ingredients i absolutely am impressed with the store

Like the store quite a bit. The only knowledgeable person at Gavoras was Dave and I know they said he was leaving but idk if he did. I also find most of their employees rude. I prefer Brew Time and although prices are a little high compared to an online retailer shipping to my house kills the good deal. I also like to go in chat with them and learn from them and pick up my ingredients the day I want to brew. Buying in bulk severely cuts down price for grain there.

I agree completely with people from gavoras they are really rude and i do not like talking to them at all and the people from brew time are awesome and very friendly so what are brewing or fermenting

Not to be a post crasher but I am in FL and will be spending a week in the Fairbanks area in May. What do you guys recommend for breweries or good craft brew bars?

Wired - in Fairbanks there are 2 breweries you should check out: Silver Gulch located about 15 minutes north of town, and HooDoo, right in town. Silver Gulch has a full restaurant, while HooDoo is a tap room that generally has some food options available.

I've only shopped at Brew Time twice, since my all grain supply is just now dwindling. Don't have too high of an opinion one way or the other yet. I've had the most luck with Alaska Home Brew Supply in Palmer for when I can plan ahead. I'll probably be hitting Brew Time up soon for grain for an upcoming Irish red.

I have heard good things about the brew supply shop in Palmer but I'm not making a 6+ hour trip for supplies and I'm rarely down there. But I will keep it in mind if I head down there though.

Thanks for the info I will add those to the schedule. Stay warm!

Just got home from BrewTime. Going to brew up an IPA on Tuesday with my mom. She will be up for Christmas and she and I brewed my first batch together back in '92.

Yes, I am interested in starting a club!

Back