Should I feed my Roselare Blend Sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poisonpeacock

Reaction score
I brewed what was supposed to be a Flander's Red on December 26th, 2011. My mash efficiency was low and the color extraction didn't seem right. At the time I didn't have a mill and ordered my grains crushed together in one bag. So, not sure if the problem was the grain or my process. Either way, I was shooting for like 1.060 OG and got like 1.051 and the color is more blonde than red.

I pitched a single smack pack of wyeast Roselare blend. The saccharomyces fermented the wort down to like 1.012 in about four days and dropped out. After about six weeks, I transferred to secondary in a glass carboy, covered it and hid it in the corner.

Since then a very spotty pellicle has started to form and a nice brett character has started to emerge. The SG is down to 1.007 as of today.

The nose is really nice but the flavor seems thin and watery. I haven't checked pH and it seems to have a bit of acidic backbone. But, it has almost no lactic character.

My instinct is to feed it some new fermentables in secondary.
I was thinking I could just add maltodextrine. Or I could do a mini-mash, boil and add that extract or just add some wort from liquid or dry malt extract. Or i could just wait it out. But, adding wort seems comparable to topping off barrels and therefore well within the tradition.

I would imagine, I can expect the FG to be around 1.000 when it's done. Will the 6-7pts of SG add enough sourness/acidity by the time its complete?

Back