Pressure keeps rising: regulator issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In my previous kegged batch, I turned it up to 15 PSI, waited until the pressure was stable at 15 PSI, then put it in the fridge. The next day, I checked on it and it was at 50 PSI! I vented the excess and turned the bottle's valve off throughout serving until I needed to bump up the pressure enough.

Yesterday, the same thing happened on a new batch, except I checked on it after just a couple of hours this time, and it had risen to 23 PSI. What is going on here? These last two batches are the only ones that have done this. Do I have a bad regulator?

you should chill the beer down to serving temps before you carb it up. Not sure about your process but try this before you buy a new reg. You could just natural carb in the keg and serve with the co2

you should chill the beer down to serving temps before you carb it up. Not sure about your process but try this before you buy a new reg.

Why would that help? Didn't need to do that before. Matter of fact, as the beer got colder and CO2 got more soluble, it used to be that I'd regularly have to turn the regulator UP just to maintain pressure as it dissolved into solution.

Are you cooling the regulator down first?

If you set the pressure at room temp and then put the co2/regulator in the fridge with the keg, the pressure can increase that way.

your regulator need to be rebuilt or replaced.
Almost any good welding gas supplier can do it or have someone they sub it out to.

Back