Double IPA Pliny the Elder Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For you guys doing an all-grain and RIMS/HERMS on this recipe, I'm interested in hearing what you do for mash temp profiles. My two versions of this clone have been way too malty compared to the real PtE, and those have been done with a 150 degree mash (flat temp for 60 mins).

I find the real beer to be pretty dry and light, allowing the hops to really pop, so now I'm thinking I should be spending a lot more time in the 140s, and perhaps more time overall in the mash. Would love to hear what others are doing.

Thanks!
Bryan

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444270108.103351.jpg
Yeasty sample of my latest batch using warrior. Just added 1oz of centennial and 2oz of Columbus for the first dry hop.

It's currently sitting at an 8.8% ABV, and I can't believe how smooth it tastes! Dangerous stuff! Just going to have to make sure I bottle it before/if it gets to up to 9.2-9.3% -- since U.S.-05 will probably quit around 9.5%, I want to make sure it can still carbonate.

The color is definitely a lot lighter from adding the LME near the end of the boil, but unfortunately the bitterness isn't as strong as it usually is when adding all the extract at the start of the boil.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444270602.044723.jpg
Sample from yesterday.

It is smoother and hops are noticeable, but it doesn't have that bitter bite like most IPAs. It is probably the most similar to Pliny so far, but I should have added some LME in the beginning to help with hop utilization.

Then again, I have been drinking my heatwave DIPA batch right before, so my tastes could be a little dulled right now.

View attachment 308204
Yeasty sample of my latest batch using warrior. Just added 1oz of centennial and 2oz of Columbus for the first dry hop.

It's currently sitting at an 8.8% ABV, and I can't believe how smooth it tastes! Dangerous stuff! Just going to have to make sure I bottle it before/if it gets to up to 9.2-9.3% -- since U.S.-05 will probably quit around 9.5%, I want to make sure it can still carbonate.

The color is definitely a lot lighter from adding the LME near the end of the boil, but unfortunately the bitterness isn't as strong as it usually is when adding all the extract at the start of the boil.

View attachment 308210
Sample from yesterday.

It is smoother and hops are noticeable, but it doesn't have that bitter bite like most IPAs. It is probably the most similar to Pliny so far, but I should have added some LME in the beginning to help with hop utilization.

Then again, I have been drinking my heatwave DIPA batch right before, so my tastes could be a little dulled right now.

US-05 has an alcohol all the way up to 11-13%. A lot of ppl use it for high gravity barelywines.

Your not going to stop fermentation just by bottling it. It will still ferment in the bottle and you just end up with bottle bombs.

View attachment 308204

Res, did you plan for 9%ish? This was a kit right? How'ed you get better efficiency?

US-05 has an alcohol all the way up to 11-13%. A lot of ppl use it for high gravity barelywines.

Your not going to stop fermentation just by bottling it. It will still ferment in the bottle and you just end up with bottle bombs.

I thought I read somewhere it was 9.5%. If that's the case though, then I'll do everything normal.

Res, did you plan for 9%ish? This was a kit right? How'ed you get better efficiency?

Yea, I wanted to make it a bit stronger so I added another lb of Pilsen DME

Just cooked this last night but tried fresh hops. As much as I would like to say that I don't like the wet hopped this, wet hopped that trend, I do like the flavor in many beers. Lets see how the classic of classics DIPA likes it.

Just cooked this last night but tried fresh hops. As much as I would like to say that I don't like the wet hopped this, wet hopped that trend, I do like the flavor in many beers. Lets see how the classic of classics DIPA likes it.

You using fresh hops in the boil and dry/wet hopping? Let us know how it turns out though.

View attachment 309237
Yeasty sample.

I usually primary for 2 weeks and then dry hop, but this time I tried starting dry hopping on day 8.

Wondering if I should just bottle it and let it settle out in the bottles, or leave it for an extra day or two.

Res, sorry I didn't post the final results of my previous batch...swear I did, but looked back. Anyway, 8 days is definitely to short. I had a pronounced butter, diacetyl, flavor. It wasn't apparent at first. Going back to 17days fermentation on this new batch.

It's all good. For me, it's more just yeasty and a little alcohol flavor that needs to mellow out. (Probably because it's at 9%) Does your 17 days include your dry hopping schedule?

Why only a 6 hour dry hop? What size was the dose?

There is some research out there that says dry hops basically reach peak oil concentration in as little as 4-6 hours so all that other time is just wasted as the beer is sitting and not developing. I'm curious how this turned out myself.

Well a true scientist would have brewed 2 batches using "standard" and this experimental hop introduction technique. If the hop flavor last 6 weeks in the keg, i'd call it successful. That's about my limit for detectable hop flavors after kegging.

Sorry, don't mean to jack the thread on brewing techniques, but it took about an hour to cool the wort due to the two different hop introductions at 180/140F. I've read all about oxygenation and sulfur compounds forming with slow cool downs. I get my beer sampled by a long time brewer in LHBS. He has never said anything about detecting these issues. Wondering if it's overstated.

Just bottled my 9% warrior PTE.

Have my next one ready with an additional 4 oz of warrior and 2 oz of Amarillo.

Thinking of using all 20 oz and making a hop bomb.

My PTE is very cloudy too, not sure why. The process was the same as prior batches, the exception being that I dry hopped at serving vs. fermentation temps.

Getting excited..citrus with that floral action. Bitterness is getting pronounced. Just hope it clears up.

Wish mine was that color. More reason to move to all grain as soon as I graduate and get a job locked down.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1445555187.630057.jpg
Lighter than previous ones, but I still think the LME is to blame.

Still, very smooth for 9%. Kinda wish there was more hop bitterness on the tongue, but I'm sure most everyone I give it to will like.

Wish mine was that color. More reason to move to all grain as soon as I graduate and get a job locked down.

View attachment 311216
Lighter than previous ones, but I still think the LME is to blame.

Still, very smooth for 9%. Kinda wish there was more hop bitterness on the tongue, but I'm sure most everyone I give it to will like.

All grain for these big beers are a must. All grain equipment is not much, 10gal HD cooler and parts run $100.

I'm actually starting to do partial mashes with lighter <6%. A 3hr day vs 8hr looks appealing.

Cheers to Pliny lovers. This is truly the juiciest Pliny I've made. Wish I could share to gather opinions. Oh and go Niners!

Attachments

• 1445561512606.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 306
All grain for these big beers are a must. All grain equipment is not much, 10gal HD cooler and parts run $100.

I'm actually starting to do partial mashes with lighter <6%. A 3hr day vs 8hr looks appealing.

Cheers to Pliny lovers. This is truly the juiciest Pliny I've made. Wish I could share to gather opinions. Oh and go Niners!

Did you guys use Irish moss or Whirfloc tabs? Or is the haze hop sediment?

So thinking about brewing my Pliny today, and adding 4 oz of warrior @60 and 2 oz of Amarillo @30 to the boil. Might throw in an oz of mosaic to the dry hops to make it a total of 21oz of hops.

21oz / 50 bottles = 0.420 oz hops/per bottle [emoji41]

Yea I think I'm going to do the warrior @90 and magnum @60. What temp have you been adding the flameout hops at? 140?

Yea I think I'm going to do the warrior @90 and magnum @60. What temp have you been adding the flameout hops at? 140?

I took the 30min to whirlpool hops, divided them in 1/2 and added at 180/140. I actually had a simcoe/Amarillo 5min, but only an ounce combined.

My bittering hops totalled ~3oz. It is plenty bitter to not overwhelm the juiciness.

Dry hop was 6hrs, but will do 24hrs next.

Just MHO, I'd put the 2oz cascade from FWH to the whirlpool additions.

I took the 30min to whirlpool hops, divided them in 1/2 and added at 180/140. I actually had a simcoe/Amarillo 5min, but only an ounce combined.

Just MHO, I'd put the 2oz cascade from FWH to the whirlpool additions.

Lol too late on the fwh.

Would you leave the whirlpool hops in there for 30 min even if I hit 70 in 10 min?

Should I just cool it down to whatever I can then just let them sit for 30 min?
Or
Should I just cool it down slower?

That still seems a bit dark even for being ultra light IMO. I like Briess Pilsen Light for my light LME personally but that might change the malt character.

That still seems a bit dark even for being ultra light IMO. I like Briess Pilsen Light for my light LME personally but that might change the malt character.

Yea, that's what I've been thinking. It even smelled a little toasted/burnt before I put it in.

Can you get golden dme as a substitute from supply store?

I've been ordering from MoreBeer, and unfortunately my lhbs 30 min away has only has Pilsen and wheat for some reason. I plan on sending morebeer an email about it with some pictures, but at this point I'm done brewing for a couple months until I graduate. I still have a couple batches to bottle and drink, but I need to focus

Edit:
Had to put this here haha
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1445813106.712740.jpg
9y the elder
PTE clone #3 using warrior and extra lb of Pilsen DME

Back