What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to put my Amber ale and Honey ale and everything else on the back burner. Had to have partial knee replacement yesterday. Hurts like hell! But when this pass', it won't hurt anymore lifting my mash tun with 20+ lbs of grist!
Be well,and have a quick and complete recovery, and more great brew days ahead.

B0DED66A-0868-42B7-9FF5-B107F21776F4.jpeg
Taste testing an Irish red. A tad under carbed.

Brewing a sampler lemondrop extract

Made a starter for my Omega Voss Kviek packet and attached a CO2 catcher to my IPA which is near done fermenting so I can cold crash in a few days without risking oxidation

Got up this morning expecting to see some action in the lager brewed yesterday, and....zilch. This yeast always takes off fast (S-23 slurry) so it was either a dud or somebody who shall remain nameless, but is the only brewer in the house, didn't label some ale slurry correctly. So dumped half a jar of what I KNOW is the right yeast in the carboy, swirled it up, and will check again tonight. Also started some laundry so I have something nice to wear today when I go get my 2nd place medal, and schmooze with other homebrewers.

It's been a good weekend for beer. Yesterday I bought some pumpkin cider bottles from Aldi so I can have the swing tops that they come in for 99 cents each .After that I bottled my Irish Red .
Today I am soaking bottles to get the labels off.
All in all a good weekend.

Brewed a red rye IPA yesterday. Got great efficiency - so far both brews this year exceeded my target. Yeast is off to an exceptionally sluggish start though; despite oxygenation, decent sized starter, and all that jazz. Was a PITA to deal with the wind - I really have to make a shield for my burner.
Today I kegged my rauchbier, threw it in my lagering "chamber", filled a couple sample bottles of my wild ale to set aside and share with family at some point (since it's going to kick soon), sealed up the hop bags I opened from the brew yesterday, and did a deep clean on my brew kettle and a couple other things.

Sounds similar to concrete jungle's strawberry alarm clock. Care to share the full recipe?
Im not sure 3 vanilla beans is enough, but ill find out in a week when i have to bottle it for my sisters birthday. I used dole frozen strawberries, pureed with the pound of sugar and added when fermentation started to slow down.
Screenshot_20190318-012042_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
Screenshot_20190318-012048_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
Screenshot_20190318-012218_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

Can anyone tell me why the time is off on these threads? It says I posted today at 3:36 pm and it's just now 1:59 pm.
I was wondering about that too when I joined up.. probably depends where you are posting from relative to where the app Homesite is, maybe time zone difference? Possibly maybe a delay based on number of post this app is receiving from God knows how many phones and computers?

I was wondering about that too when I joined up.. probably depends where you are posting from relative to where the app Homesite is, maybe time zone difference? Possibly maybe a delay based on number of post this app is receiving from God knows how many phones and computers?
What you don't use Greenwich time?? [emoji3]

Hmmm. I wonder if your preferences settings effect that. Check under preferences of your time zone is correct.

Im not sure 3 vanilla beans is enough, but ill find out in a week when i have to bottle it for my sisters birthday. I used dole frozen strawberries, pureed with the pound of sugar and added when fermentation started to slow down. View attachment 618096View attachment 618097View attachment 618098
Depends on the quality of the beans. With vanilla, it seems like the more you spend, the better the quality(there has to be a point of diminishing returns). I made a chocolate stout years ago with three full beans and the vanilla was maybe too prominent for my liking. Hope it turns out how you imagine!

48 hours into fermentation of my Sour IPA later today I will pull a sample for gravity/pH measurement and depending on the pH reading will pitch Swanson L plantarum pills into the beer. Then will let her sit another week until dry hop and packaging.

Washed and sanitized bottles, planning to package the cask aged red. Opened up to check the gravity —pop fizz- ugh. I put the bung back and have been “burping” it periodically. The gravity did drop a couple points, though it was stable going in. The flavor is developing nicely, getting bourbon notes with out adding it. Perhaps tomorrow.

Back