Recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JwP33

Reaction score
I need some advice on whats the best way to use up these hops and yeast.
I would be looking to do some sort of extract ale brew.

.25oz Colombus
.5oz Perle
.75oz Cascade
.75oz Mt.Hood

Wyeast Smack Pack London ESB 1968

You can use Brewbuilder on the brewmasters warehouse website to add extract, grains, and develop the hop schedule. It will give you a good idea of the IBUs, ABV% ans SRM. Sorry i dont have anything creative to add other than that, but i have been using Brewbuilder lately and I find it very useful!

It can be fun to just throw caution to the wind and make a random brew, but its a lot of work to brew and i hate not having some sort of style or taste in mind when i start a batch.

Either way, good luck!

I love making recipes, so I'd be glad to help!

The thing is, you've got US hops, German hops, and English ale yeast. What sort of beer do you want to make? I think you can make a nice American amber ale with what you have, but I wanted to ask you before I came up with one.

I guess it really is time for me to start using some type of software. Thx sheets

Yooper-Type of beer not really sure.

Am I limited to an amber?
Not that I should knock an amber you would suggest.
How about something closer to an IPA? or am I lacking in the hops?

JwP33 said:
I guess it really is time for me to start using some type of software. Thx sheets

Yooper-Type of beer not really sure.

Am I limited to an amber?
Not that I should knock an amber you would suggest.
How about something closer to an IPA? or am I lacking in the hops?

Yeah, the software is incredibly easy to use, u just load the style of beer, the efficency (defaults to 75%) and then load your ingredients. The thing I like about it the most is when u upload a style is gives you certain perameter ranges to follow for that style. For instance if u say you want to make an amber ale, it will give u a range of OG, FG, IBUS (25-40) SRMs, and ABV. So when u load your ingredients it woll show you if youre in the correct range for that style. For me it is most useful for IBUs, you just tell it which types of hops and when u add it to the brewpot, and it does the IBU calculation for you.

Try it out and let me know if you have any questions.

Not enough hops for an IPA. Maybe an APA. I used 1oz US Perle & 1oz Czech Saaz in my APA. It had a nice smooth spice to it,& the piny aspect of the Saaz was changed to a nondescript citrus flavor.

you could go with a nice, light pale ale or an amber. use the columbus for bittering and the perle and cascade toward the end, maybe perle at 15 and cascade in the last five mins. with that yeast, make sure to ferment cool, and i believe 1968 is one of the ale strains that Wyeast recommends a diacetyl rest for. so ferment cool (low 60's) and when fermentation starts to slow, bump the temp up about 5 degrees for the remainder. i've used the london esb and made great beer, but if you're not tight on temps it can produce a real butter bomb.

So I have downloaded beersmith and working on something
between an amber and an APA.
Thanks for a point in the right direction with these ingrdients.

What exactly would a butter bomb be?

He means it will spit out a lot of diacetyl (butterscotch or buttered popcorn flavor) if not keeping the temps down.

He means it will spit out a lot of diacetyl (butterscotch or buttered popcorn flavor) if not keeping the temps down.

that's exactly what i meant. some strains kick a lot of diacetyl, which can taste like butter, or even fake butter like Chickypad said. not pleasant. fermenting cool limits this to here your beer won't taste like microwave popcorn. the london esb yeast is a known producer of diacetyl precursor, so it's best to ferment it cooler. i think wyeast also recommends a diacetyl rest near the end of fermentation. i'm not trying to sac are you off the yeast, it's actually a really nice yeast if you give it the right temps and pitch rate. makes a really nice english style beer, IMO.

Latest posts

Back