Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a dunkel about two and a half weeks ago that I'm drinking now. It's got a little unwanted roasty flavor due to a grain substitution I had to make on the fly. I had wanted to use Carafa III but had to substitute 4 oz. of black patent as the store was out of Carafa III.

The original recipe was:

5 lbs German wheat malt
4 lbs Munich malt
0.25 lbs Carafa III (had to substitute black patent)

1 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker, 60 minutes

Started in the protein rest range ~122 F and did a decoction (10 minute rest at 158 F, 20 min boil) to get to saccharification ~150 F.
Boiled the wort for 75 minutes.

Used White Labs WLP 300, with a pint starter.

I'm going to try it again if I can get Carafa III this time to see if it comes out better.

I tried black patent and roasted barley in my dunkels before. I've found that chocolate seems to work best for me to get that extra bit of colour without any real flavour.

I used cara aroma in mine, really turned out nice. I also made a wierd stout/weizen. Black barley, chocolate, small amount of special b then like 60% wheat and some pils wlp300 hefe yeast. Way darker than your average dunkel, but very interesting.

LHBS has a limited grain selection and made the following sub's on my grain bill:

Pale wheat malt for white wheat malt (4.5 lbs.)
Crystal 40 for caramel wheat malt (1.25 lbs.)
Caramunich III for Caramunich ((0.5 lb)
Carafa II for Carafa III (2 oz.)

Do you think this is going to change the flavor profile of my dunkelweizen dramatically.

Back