Left hops and yeast out for 4 days...ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
My buddy and I went to our LHBS so he could pick up a pumpkin ale kit. He got dry yeast and hops in an o2 tight pouch. He forgot to put the yeast in the fridge and the hops in the freezer. Will they be ok to use? I figure the hops will be fine but wasn't sure about the yeast.

They will be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to use either. The yeast is dry, my LHBS keeps all their dry wine yeast out on the shelf but the dry beer yeast is in the fridge but they are all saccwhatver so should be fine. The hops are sealed so they should be OK as well.

On the other hand I always keep my yeast in the fridge and my hops in the freezer.

do a starter with the yeast. if it starts bubbling, it's good. if not, then probably dead. it's good, though, as i've been in stores where they keep the yeast out. didn't buy it there, but i've seen it...

They will be fine. My LHBS keeps their dry yeast out and I have never had a problem and 4 days in a sealed pouch for the hops is not a big deal either.

My first brew was a kit from Northern Brewer. That I'd ordered a solid year prior. And put in the barn. We brewed it, yeasties went nuts right away and the whole primary. Hops weren't too strong, but still flavorful. Don't overthink the negatives. A year at summer temps of 120 degrees during the day, in a cardboard box. All good...

I figured they both would be ok but I told him I would check before he used them.

Latest posts

Back