My Cream of 3 Crops looks like Goldschlager !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was going through my pics of brew day and noticed how awesome this pic was. Reminded me of Goldschlager. But I'm sure it'll be much better!

This pic was taken right before measuring my OG.

Cream3crops.jpg

Not sure what all the floating particles were... This was my first time using flaked corn. Is that was this is? This pic is just before the boil.

Cream3crops2.jpg

It is AG.

I don't fly sparge. I did vorlauf each time extensively until it came out clear or so appeared.

This is the first time I've used flaked corn. I also used rice which I cooked. I also used rice hulls and had a good filter bed.

It is AG.

I don't fly sparge. I did vorlauf each time extensively until it came out clear or so appeared.

This is the first time I've used flaked corn. I also used rice which I cooked. I also used rice hulls and had a good filter bed.

Don't worry - it will clear up. I made this earlier this summer and mine looked the same but it turned out to be one of the clearest beers I've ever made. And everyone including the BMC crowd and hardcore craft beer lovers enjoyed it.

Mine turned out a bit hazy, having never used corn or rice before I wasn't sure what caused it but it doesn't matter to me (mine looked similar to your hydro sample). It's a tasty summer beer, but honestly I'd rather have a colder IPA in the heat over a cream ale or any lager or light ale. Just personal preference - not insulting other peoples taste!

Took some to a party and it was indeed well received. I drank Martinis.

Update:

Through some persuasive suggestions by SWMBO I decided to add some strawberry extract at the last moment when I was kegging.

Pulled my first pint last night, and here's what it looked like. Not as clear as I was hoping. Looks more like a belgian strawberry blonde. Which I'm ok with, just not what I was expecting.

Maybe I'll use more rice hulls next time?

WP_000546.jpg

I think it will probably clear up a little bit more as it sits.

OG: 1.058
FG: 1.003

Brewing this now and my first runnings look just like yours. I am using brown minute rice because it's all I had and didn't want to run to store to get white. Not worried about color just flavor.

Mine turned out ok. I just opened the first one last night. A little hazy but it has only been in the bottle for 2 weeks

You what is weird for me is watching it clear in the carboy. I have never brewed a light color beer before and it was cool watching everything settle out with this beer

I make this all the time. Never had one that wasn't almost clear as water. Add some Irish Moss @ 15 min and ALWAYS cold crash for a week or so. I haven't made a hazy beer in years. Cold crashing is the key.

Also Rice hulls will only help with your sparge. They will aid in not getting a stuck sparge. They add nothing to the beer, the alcohol, the taste, etc...

Update:

Through some persuasive suggestions by SWMBO I decided to add some strawberry extract at the last moment when I was kegging.

Pulled my first pint last night, and here's what it looked like. Not as clear as I was hoping. Looks more like a belgian strawberry blonde. Which I'm ok with, just not what I was expecting.

Maybe I'll use more rice hulls next time?

WP_000546.jpg

I think it will probably clear up a little bit more as it sits.

OG: 1.058
FG: 1.003

If that was the very first pint out of the keg thats normal. The first few pints will pull yeast that settled at the bottom of the keg.

Back