Bread Making vs Beer Making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
My wife recently got a bread maker and has been making loafs in the kitchen (including homemade cinnamon rolls - which were incredible).

Anyway, I brew in the kitchen and was wondering if the yeast she uses for her bread could contaminate my beers. Obviously we won't be making beer and bread at the same time to avoid this, but I was slightly fearful that there could be left over bread yeasties that could spoil my beer.

Anyone have experiance with this?

Her yeast is killed during baking so unless you guys are having a yeast fight and it's all over the counters I wouldn't worry about it. Also, her yeast is contained in water when she rehydrates it so it's not airborne. And you'll be boiling your wort and that will kill anything in it so you could theoretically enjoy the kitchen together while participating in your hobbies.

For what it's worth, I make bread and beer in the same kitchen regularly and I've never had any issues. I recently made ciabatta in the same kitchen where I had a starter going, beer turned out fine.

I make bread all the time. The yeast she uses goes directly into water, and gets incorporated into the bread. I do not think it is flying around in the air to much? You are fine, just clean up before you brew.

There are "wild" yeasts in the air naturally. Use a starter to kick start your wort and out breed the others. The more you pitch indoors the more types of yeasts you will have floating around. Read up on Belgian brews.....I let a 1 gallon wort start is own fermenting added an air lock after about 12 hours as it had active fermenting.....nice pale ale when finished............my.02

Yes...there are yeast in the air...they travel around on dust particles and are kung fu super ninjas that backflip their way into our beer. HAHA. RDWHAHB!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back