Alcohol tolerance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rambler

Reaction score
Im brewing a biggish Scotch Ale tommorrow and only have wlp005 and 002 on hand. Which on will tolerate and eat up 1.080 the best?

I would expect both to perform up to their attenuation specification for that OG as long as you pitch enough healthy yeast with good oxygenation. However, the 002 doesn't attenuate as much as the 005 so it would leave more sugar behind. That might not be desired in a beer that big.

Thanks both of yall, I had the same thought with the 02 also. I do have some yeast nutient too, so that will probably be necessary, and good call on the starter, I'll be starting that shortly...pax

I've made plenty of 1.080 beers with 002. It definitely has the alcohol tolerance.

You'll just have to decide if you want a slightly sweeter finish. Usually when my gravities get up there I'm adding at least 5-10% sugar for a little extra attenuation.

Well i decided how to solve the problem. I will just pitch 002 in half of it and 005 in the other and do some comparative analysis. Sound like a good reason to do 10 gallons.

Latest posts

Back