Weird water scenario

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansasbrew

Reaction score
I live in Central Kansas above the Ogalala Aquifer. Our city water is drawn from ten well, which according to the water engineer is rotated frequently. The city gives ranges based on different wells. Here's the problem. The swing between lows and highs on all chemicals is significant enough that I can't be sure from day to day what is coming out of my tap. This makes sending for a Wards test somewhat beside the point I think. Is there a reliable home test that will give me enough info to plug into the ezwatercalculator? Or should I shoot down the middle of the range as a guess.

Check braukaiser.com, there is an article on using aquarium kits to determine residual alkalinity. They won't tell you about sodium, sulfate or chloride though.

If I were in your position, I would be looking at RO units.

I would calculate the RA for all the wells though, if they are close then you can just shoot down the middle and hit your mash pH at least.

Back