kegerator/keezer questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellfire_studios

Reaction score
I am in the process of deciding which way to go with a keg setup. I am leaning towards a keezer setup. I do have some questions for those that have one currently. My first question is how do you manage the temp in the freezer. I would assump you have to raise up the temp some how so that your brew doesn't freeze? And secondly what do you guys use to insulate the holes needed to get your taps through the side? expanding foam? or silicone of some type?

Josh

they sell temp control that your freezer plugs into, and a probe that you hang inside the freezer. see the link for some examples Austin Homebrew Supply

i don't insulate the holes. if i remember correctly the OD of the shank is just under 7/8", so i used a hole saw for 7/8". there is hardly any space around it to even try to insulate.

i only have the keezer set up and i love it. i have room for 5 kegs (tight fit, but they will). i installed 4 taps and its a nice set up. depending on how strong you are it could be a pain to lift 5 gallons up over wood collar. Search around BobbyM (i think i have that name right) attached his collar to the top. its so nice not bottling anymore.

I have a 7.2CF Magic Chef with a Johnson Controls Temprature controler.
Dial-Thermostat.jpg

What I have seen people do with colars, is take the 1/2inch foam insulation sheets, and line the inside of the colar with it. Once they drill out the hole for the shank, they cut back a little extra foam, to assure the shank nut seats against the wooden part of the colar.

Latest posts

Back