Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've made so many gallons of graff. play around with the recipe all you want, they all end up pretty tasty!

i find the store-bought juice always needs a little juice concentrate to offset the tartness, but that's easy enough if you keg.

So I'm looking to make a batch with Apple Cider over Apple Juice. I have 2 gallons of cider already and was looking for a 3-4 gallon batch. Can go either all grain or extract for the ale side. Would just over 1 gallon of wort be the right ratio for this recipe. I can add Irish moss to the wort for some extra clearing of the brew. and is there anything else I should watch out for? was trying to read through but with 80+ pages it was just easier to ask

So I'm looking to make a batch with Apple Cider over Apple Juice. I have 2 gallons of cider already and was looking for a 3-4 gallon batch. Can go either all grain or extract for the ale side. Would just over 1 gallon of wort be the right ratio for this recipe. I can add Irish moss to the wort for some extra clearing of the brew. and is there anything else I should watch out for? was trying to read through but with 80+ pages it was just easier to ask
Ron, it really depends on what you want to stand out. I've made this only once, and I think I did a 50/50 split, but if you want the cider to stand out maybe 1 gal of wort would be a good starting point. Cider is pretty mild flavor so I wouldn't do too may hops, but some for sure. Also, I would stabilize and back sweeten with frozen AJ at packaging for more apple flavor. Good luck. :mug:

Ron, it really depends on what you want to stand out. I've made this only once, and I think I did a 50/50 split, but if you want the cider to stand out maybe 1 gal of wort would be a good starting point. Cider is pretty mild flavor so I wouldn't do too may hops, but some for sure. Also, I would stabilize and back sweeten with frozen AJ at packaging for more apple flavor. Good luck. :mug:
Ended up with more Fresh cider then expected. So I did a 3 gallon mash and had just over 2 gallons after boil. going to back sweeten with Cider once its done fermenting. Currently fermenting nicely should be done with primary this weekend. I plan on racking to a secondary and lowering the temp slightly as we are getting a nice cold streak were I'm at. Since my keg isn't empty for my Kolsch that's ready to bottle/Keg I will be putting this in a keg in a few weeks and carbonating it in there. I'm thinking mid December it should be ready to go

Brewed it primarily for the wife. She doesn't like cider that is too tart. What has everyone found to be a good backend sweetening to take care of a little of the tart.
Just put my first batch in the fermenter. Can't wait to try this.

Hi everyone, Newbie here!
I brewed this recipe up last night and it is bubbling away. But it has an inch of sediment at the bottom of the carboy that looks like the DME. I followed the recipe to a T and was wondering if I need to try and shake the hell out of it or just leave it be?
Thanks

Did you check your OG? If the sediment is DME, you're OG should read lower than expected. Giving it a good shake at this point won't hurt it but the yeast will find the DME and take care of it if you don't.🍻

Did you check your OG? If the sediment is DME, you're OG should read lower than expected. Giving it a good shake at this point won't hurt it but the yeast will find the DME and take care of it if you don't.🍻
Thanks Rish, I didn’t check the OG. I had company coming over for dinner and I was rushing to try to get everything together and I forgot (I know better). It must have been the DME because I did shake it and the yeast ate it up pretty quick. Thanks again!

I’ve made some wines in the past but never anything like this. Two weeks old today and it’s delicious!!!

Attachments

• FD8184B6-605A-454F-89F5-C0FDEC87CAB6.jpeg
    FD8184B6-605A-454F-89F5-C0FDEC87CAB6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Brewed a batch did 1 1/2 gallons water of pm w/ .5lb 80L, 3oz rye, 3oz honey malt and 1 oz cara pils. w/ dme light and amber used 12 grams of northdown hops and pitched us-05

I would highly recommend adding the rye malt in here. it gives it a nice element hard to describe but falls in the line of anise/fennel/licorice note. I've added fennel seed in a vodka tincture before and that's what it reminds me of but doesn't have the aroma of fennel.

I am planning on doing a small 8 liter batch. 4 liters of water and 400g of light spraymalt + 4 liters of cloudy apple juice. I can get the clear stuff but its from concentrate. Aiming for 10 IBU with saaz and Lalemand New England yeast. My question is can i add pectolase into thye juice bottles 24 hours before i start fermentation or can i add it at the start? I know the juice wont clear on its own as i have made vinegar from it. Should i add protofloc to the spraymalt as well?

doing another batch this time doing 1oz of chocalate malt, .5 80L, 4 oz flaked maize and 3oz of rye, 1# amber and light dme

Back