Converting Extract Recipe to All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmith1279

Gridiron Beerworks
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Folks, when converting extract recipes to all grain recipes how does one go about getting the impact the grain has equal the impact the extract has? Meaning if it calls for 4 lbs of Light DME would you use 2 Row at x lbs? Is there a standard conversion?

How much grain you need depends on the efficiency of your system so there is no hard and fast rule. What I normally do is to add all of the specialty malts at their given quantities, then add enough base malt to hit the target OG at my efficiency. The easiest way to do that is with brewing software.

DME will usually have 44 PPG (points per pound per gallon) and LME has about 37 PPG. The most one can extract form base malts is in between 35-38 PPG. This is assuming 100% efficiency as well. You much multiply by your brewhouse efficiency to get realiztic numbers.

For example lets say recipie has 6 lbs DME and you want to know how much 2-row grain to use.

6lbs*44=264PPG

You now need to match 264 PPG for grain assuming 75% efficiency). So...

@35PPG X*(35*.75)=264

@38PPG X*(38*.75)=264

so in between 9.25 and 10lbs of 2 row will work depending on the grains specific PPG value. I hope that made sense to anybody besides myself. Another thing to check is the color of extract used. I once converted an extract recipie to all grain and didn't notice they used dark LME. My coffee stout wasn't as black as I thought, more of a muddy brown. It tasted just as good as I wanted it too but the color was way off.

Back