Input on an American Wheat needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chairman Cheyco

***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys'n gals,
I'm looking to brew a nice, refreshing brew in the american wheat ale style for late summer. Something to squeeze a lemon wedge into. I've come up with this recipe:

3# wheat malt
6# 2-row pale
1/4# Dextrin malt

1 1/4oz Cascade 60min
3/4oz EKG 15min
3/4oz EKG 5min

OG 10.051
SRM 3.5
IBU 22.5
Nottingham Ale yeast

I can't help but think it looks a little boring. Any suggestions? I'm not sure If I'm happy with the hop profile either. I don't want it to be really bitter, but I'm not looking for a sweet brew either.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Hey guys'n gals,
I'm looking to brew a nice, refreshing brew in the american wheat ale style for late summer. Something to squeeze a lemon wedge into. I've come up with this recipe:

3# wheat malt
6# 2-row pale
1/4# Dextrin malt

1 1/4oz Cascade 60min
3/4oz EKG 15min
3/4oz EKG 5min

OG 10.051
SRM 3.5
IBU 22.5
Nottingham Ale yeast

I can't help but think it looks a little boring. Any suggestions? I'm not sure If I'm happy with the hop profile either. I don't want it to be really bitter, but I'm not looking for a sweet brew either.

If you are going to squeeze a lemon wedge in to it I wouldn't bother with the last two hop additions or use a small amount of the cascades near the end.

I'm not sure how bitter you're shooting for, but 1 1/4 oz of Cascades seems a bit much for a wheat beer. I use .5 oz of Hallertauer for 60 mins and that's plenty bitter for me. I also agree with adding some Cascades in for that characteristic "grapefruit" flavor, but would add about an ounce at 30 mins. I like to finish with the Hallertauer too, another .5 oz during the last 15 mins.

If you really want to make the wheat stand out I'd use Wyeast #1010 (I LOVE this yeast!). You'll get plenty of banana, but not alot of the spiciness as with WY#3068.

Finally, I'd kick up my wheat a little bit to make it around 45% wheat malt, just my preference; I like to taste the wheat.

Everything else looks good!

:)

yeah , I agree. Looks a little ho-hum. Wouldn't put a grin on a Sasquatch. I think I would add 1/2-1 # of crystal 40. If you use the EKG you won't need a lemon.

Well the thing is, I 'm not going for a wiezen style here. It's more of a clone brew actually. One of the local micros makes a whaeat ale which is clear and crisp and almost perfoect for summer. I don't think they use a ton of wheat in their grist- just enough to make it different.
Thanks for the input on the hops, I think I'll cut down the total amounts to leave room for the lemon - this beer HAS to have lemons squeezed in it!

Thanks again, and one more note: Just about anything will put a smile on Sasquatch's face, provided he doesn't need to get up for it!!

Chairman Cheyco said:
Well the thing is, I 'm not going for a wiezen style here. It's more of a clone brew actually. One of the local micros makes a whaeat ale which is clear and crisp and almost perfoect for summer. I don't think they use a ton of wheat in their grist- just enough to make it different.
Thanks for the input on the hops, I think I'll cut down the total amounts to leave room for the lemon - this beer HAS to have lemons squeezed in it!

Thanks again, and one more note: Just about anything will put a smile on Sasquatch's face, provided he doesn't need to get up for it!!

Are you talking about grasshopper? I'd be interested in how your recipe turns out.

bump.

So how did this turn out? I have been searching aimlessly for a grasshopper clone.

We drink this religiously on our trips to toronto. Matter of fact, this might be a bit sad, but we've only been there for a couple days the last couple of years and the fox and the fiddle knows our order when we walk in. heh

i would be forever humble for a good grasshopper clone. :ban:

cheers! :mug:

Sorry to say I never really got around to brewing this. Cloning grasshopper is still on the list of things to brew, but I'll probably shoot for more of a yummy pseudo-wheat rather than trying to clone it perfectly. My brewing focus has changed a bit since then.

Whatever I discover, I'll be sure to post it here. It's not exactly Grasshopper season here so it'll be while before I take a stab at it.

Back